Couldn't turn this price down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
A guy on craigslist was advertising about five face cord for sale. "Asking $200". Ash and maple. I called him and went right over to see it. Some stacked, some in a pile. He said, I know there is at least five cord there. I agreed. Just the stacked stuff was over four. About four cord of it was split already. I said, Well, that stuff is not split, Maple. That will take some time. What is the best price you can give me if I take it all today. "Well, let's start at $160 then." :eek: I said, "If you help me load it on the truck I will give you $150 and take it all today. He said "Deal, I need it gone." Nice. We had some conversation during the loading of it. I asked him if he liked a cold beer every now and then. He smiled and said, "Ya". On the way back for the last load I bought him a cold 12 pack of Blue Light. I gave him $160 cash (looked like a young family just getting started) and thanked him for helping me load it and such a good deal. By the time I left with the fifth load on the truck I knew I had a little over 6 cord there. Glad I checked it out. He is working on splitting up some more maple he has down in the back field. I told him to give me a call when he gets it all done and we could make a deal. He said "I sure will". $160 + $12 for the beer. $172 / 6 = $28.66 per cord. Not bad at all.

You started out calling it "face cords""A guy on craigslist was advertising about five face cord for sale". You ended up with cords."
"$172 / 6 = $28.66 per cord. Not bad at all."
Please advise. Thank you.

is that $28.66 per face cord? That would be $85.98 per cord, not bad at all either way.

You started out calling it "face cords""A guy on craigslist was advertising about five face cord for sale". You ended up with cords."
"$172 / 6 = $28.66 per cord. Not bad at all."
Please advise. Thank you.

It's face cord. $28.66 per face cord. Started out calling it face cord so everyone would know that I was talking face cord. I guess I shouldn't have gotten lazy with the typing and assumed everyone would know I meant face cord after that. The old Benny Hill thing again. Never assume and make an ass-u-me. ;lol Everyone on the forum talks cord (real, full cord). Everyone where I live talks cord (face cord). Just the way it is.

Sounds like both parties are happy :)
That always makes for a good deal ;)
Good price which ever measurement you use

Thanks. If I can get it at that price, and I have the cash, I will buy it. So nice to just have to move it and stack it.

Gasifier, nice price on the wood. The radio station in Massena runs a program calle swap & shop, some guy had face cords for $25.00, not sure what kind but that is cheap.

zap

Gasifier, you did great! The cold beer really put the crown on this deal. A young family can always use some extra cash and he probably can't afford much beer either. I'll be he is smiling.

Nice job bro. Wheelin and dealin! Thats the way to do it.

I'd buy cords all day long at 100 bucks, you did good! Heck I'd even buy cut to length rounds at 100 bucks since I like splitting squares/rectangles and people that I see selling mostly split triangle shaped pieces.

After I get caught up on everything I have down or dead around here I may end up buying a cord or two depending on what my cord count is. I'll be looking for a deal like you found.

If I had a constant/steady supplier that would sell wood at $85 per cord, I would sell the saw and splitter.

Nice job on sourcing some cheap fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.