Countertop composters - do they stink?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have read of some people collecting vegetable scraps and coffee grounds in a countertop bin, then transferring to their outdoor compost pile. They sell little containers that look like they could hold a week or so of scraps. I'm interested in doing this provided the scraps don't start to stink. Anybody use one of these and can tell me how it goes for you?

41TGdYGeJ4L._SS400_.jpg

we have that exact one. Doesnt stink, but I empty mine 2 times a week and make sure to wash it out each time.

I use a SS bowl and empty it when full or when I feel like it. The material is not in 'compost mode' in those or in my bowl so it will begin to smell at some point, depending on what is in it. No matter what, if you dump it twice a week, chances are there will be no odor issues. It takes 3 or more days for that to happen - by experience.

My old method was just a bucket with a lid that I kept just outside the back door. I would pulverize the compost with a flat shovel and then mix into the compost. It is amazing how fast it breaks down when you shop it up. Then you just rinse the bucket and water the compost pile with it. Compost piles are often underwatered.

I thought this post was going to be about actually composting in your kitchen. This can be done with worms [vermi-composting] = NO ODOR. I have seen some pretty cool setups in bins that were kept under the sink or in a cabinet.

I simply keep compostable scraps in a tupperware container that I keep in the FREEZER (doesn't even need a lid) and transfer outdoors a couple times per week. It obviously doesn't start composting 'til it gets outdoors, but who cares ? No issue of odor in the freezer !

Learned it from an old girlfriend. I kept seeing this apparently (not really) rotten food in her freezer when I went to get the ice cream or what, and finally I asked her what the hell it was for.

We use a plastic container with a lid.
Wouldn't want vent holes for the fruit flies to fly in and out of.
In the Summer it can start smelling kind of ripe at the end of a week.
Although, in the Summer with our own vegetable garden, it would usually be full long before a week was up.

I have two containers on the counter by the sink.
Food scraps for the compost and coffee grounds go under the rhododendron bushes ( or any evergreen that likes acid soil amendment)

We have a green plastic one with vent top & those litte carbon filter things. My wife bought it; I would have just used a pail or something. It generally does not smell until I dump it out. Smells less than the garbage can actually. In the heat of summer (house temp around 80) it may start to smell in a week or less, but usually is full much quicker since we're eating more veggies. We get fruit flies occasionally in summer, but not a big problem. The filters seem to keep them out.
Stainless steel would be easier to clean. I generally just spray it out well with the garden hose if it's nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.