Country boy White Lightnings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Do's fire.

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Hyde Park, NY
The pellet fairy strikes again and I got a bag of White lightnings to try out. Cleaned the stove, dropped em in. Nice blue-white flame, slightly less ash from a 40lb bag than the Set's but....also less heat than the Sets:rolleyes: . Question;?. This is an all OAK pellet, Oak in a woodstove burns very hot. I would expect the same from a pellet but...for me they ran about 8-10 degrees cooler. Any idea's why they would run cooler in pellet form;?;?;?

Size and density are a key player in how much gets to the burnpot. Even if a pellet is approximately the same size as another doesn't mean it will give equal heat. Density(AKA bulk density) of the pellet that gives of more heat will likely be higher.

Example sets are probably over 44 pounds per cubic foot and the CBWL are probably under 44 pounds per cubic foot. The pellet with the higher density is adding more fiber with he same amount of volume.

If you have your stove hooked to a thermostat that should even things out........toggling between low and a higher setting should even out pellet usage. I my experience there are very few pellets that are noticeably hotter or cooler once feed rate is compensated for.

Size and density are a key player in how much gets to the burnpot. Even if a pellet is approximately the same size as another doesn't mean it will give equal heat. Density(AKA bulk density) of the pellet that gives of more heat will likely be higher.

Example sets are probably over 44 pounds per cubic foot and the CBWL are probably under 44 pounds per cubic foot. The pellet with the higher density is adding more fiber with he same amount of volume.

With all the pellet testing you have done, was there a kid's science fair project as a bonus? Or was it just the visits from pellet fairies;lol

Reactions: Defiant
Differences in the moisture content of the pellets makes a very big difference in the amount of stove output heat.

Moisture is also factor as pelleting in NJ stated. A pain to measure without some special equipment. Still working on that one and how much it actually effects the heat.

Jt, This sounds like a logical explanation, now if I can find the density numbers to compare........

I found the Somerset twinPorts test results and the density was 45.86. I'll attach the pdf. I can't locate the test results for the countryBoy's. But I will do some digging or check the sample I have to compare.

If anyone has access to the tests of the CountryBoys? Can you please post for comparision. Thaks! ;)

Attachments

• Somerset_Aug_2012_testing_results.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 199
I found the Somerset twinPorts test results and the density was 45.86. I'll attach the pdf. I can't locate the test results for the countryBoy's. But I will do some digging or check the sample I have to compare.

If anyone has access to the tests of the CountryBoys? Can you please post for comparision. Thaks! ;)
Thanks JT, hope someone finds the CBWL density. Did you try the Trebio yet? really impressive:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.