country by lennox - dealers telling me theyre the 'cadillac'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zan78

Aug 31, 2010
Western MI
I am looking at this line as well as lopi (our depth limit is 15.5") for a insert that has a cook top.

Problem is I get a strange feeling that the lennox by country has some kind of incentive behind it for dealors - larger profit margin than other brands, etc. Or perhaps theyre just easy to sell because of their price compared to jotul etc.

Its pushed hard in each store I walk into - called the 'cadillac' of stoves etc. I've been searching online for background and opinions of the brand and came up with a thread here where its mentioned that Lennox isn't a very reliable company and outsources work for lines they pick up.

Many sites say they are less efficient b/c of keeping the glass cleaner, but also air more airy (as is lopi) and keep the creosote build up very low when used right. My personal thoughts right now are just that its a descent brand that's priced a tad high and hyped for some reason. Curious of everyone's opinion and if why they are being pushed so hard at stores - some incentive for the dealer, or are they truly worth considering?

Country has been making stoves in Auburn, WA for many years. They have stiff competition in this area between Quadrafire, Pacific Energy and Travis. They make good, solid, well performing stoves. I wouldn't call them the Cadillac, but maybe the American Honda. Good, solid stoves. That said, Lopi also makes very fine stoves. You wouldn't do wrong with either brand.

Some dealers will push a line of stoves because they are selling them. A good dealer will educate the customer and let them make the choice. Get the stove that has the features and look that you like. There will always be opinions from dealers and owners. Try to separate the opinions from the facts that are important to your installation.

Which country stove model are you looking at? I have the Lopi insert which has a really large cooktop and is half on the hearth so it has good convection heat too. We have been really happy with it and the price on the Republic wasn't bad. Still I wonder what options might have been there with the country stoves!

Edit, I think I found it, the Performer? https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=2&aid=32373_vPsdd0LfRuctzuFaGBJ1&board_id=1

Certainly looks comparable. WHat are they charging?

tickbitty said:
Which country stove model are you looking at? I have the Lopi insert which has a really large cooktop and is half on the hearth so it has good convection heat too. We have been really happy with it and the price on the Republic wasn't bad. Still I wonder what options might have been there with the country stoves!

Edit, I think I found it, the Performer? https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=2&aid=32373_vPsdd0LfRuctzuFaGBJ1&board_id=1

yes that is the one. We're looking at the lopi one you have as well. They are charging about 2000-2400 around my area for the country. Lopi I have yet to see the local price, will find out this morning - going out to some shops in a bit.

One of the differences I notice is the country has a blanket insert for the inside top area of the stove (sorry can't remember technical names)...whereas I think the lopi is just solid clay brick up top.

The country is a little more simple and boxy, but seems very comparable. We are pretty much limited to these 2 because of our 15.5 depth.

zan78 said:
tickbitty said:

yes that is the one. We're looking at the lopi one you have as well. They are charging about 2000-2400 around my area for the country. Lopi I have yet to see the local price, will find out this morning - going out to some shops in a bit.

One of the differences I notice is the country has a blanket insert for the inside top area of the stove (sorry can't remember technical names)...whereas I think the lopi is just solid clay brick up top.

The country is a little more simple and boxy, but seems very comparable. We are pretty much limited to these 2 because of our 15.5 depth.

We paid around 2200 for the stove with surround, blower. It's got a 2.2' firebox. The Lopi Revere is the same stove but upgraded, it costs 4 or 500 more but the Republic does us just fine. The Bypass damper is a really nice feature. The paint appears a bit more matte than I think it should but other than that I'm totally pleased. Good luck!

zan78 said:

I think your talking about the baffle. I'm not a big fan of those flimsy ceramic blanket baffles. People tend to punch holes in them while reloading if your not careful. The Lopi has a much more stout baffle system. Also look to see how easy the baffle is removed when it comes time for sweeping the chimney.

Todd said:
zan78 said:

I think your talking about the baffle. I'm not a big fan of those flimsy ceramic blanket baffles. People tend to punch holes in them while reloading if your not careful. The Lopi has a much more stout baffle system. Also look to see how easy the baffle is removed when it comes time for sweeping the chimney.

This is a very good point. I noticed on the lopi website videos that they try to shy you away from brands that use such stuff because you may forget its there and punch right through it when cleaning, and also they need replacement regardless every so often.

However, the salesman going for the country said that without the blanket you're more likely to break the clay brick baffles inside brands like loki if a log hits them. I am wondering if he's yanking my chain a bit on that point. Country touts that the blanket baffle has 10x the insulation value of firebrick. I'm not sure what to believe right now, still researching.

branchburner said:
In addition to reviews, you might want to try the search function to turn up any threads like this, for what it's worth:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19073/#206316

oh yup I did read this thread last night, which peaked my curiousity on why this brand is pushed hard at stores locally. I get the feeling theres some kind of incentive. One guy told me that the brand only sells in brick and mortar, as the brand prefers its product sold through a salesmen directly to someone locally. I spoke with someone today who will not carry the line because they are an open market company selling stock and outsource their parts and are worried more about bottom line than qaulity.

However, I still get the feeling (especially from all the threads I'm turning up here and elsewhere through the day researching) that its a pretty descent stove regardless. But I am still leaning towards the Lopi I think. It has a by-pass damper function that I am not sure the other one has that seems like a great function.

This was the reason we didn't go with a Lennox heatpump system. I don't like proprietary parts and pricing either. The Country design is good and simple, very similar to Quadrafire without the ACT. But, Lopi and PE would be on my first choice list.

Well I can't really speak to the importance of the insulation value on top, the whole rear of mine is in a shroud anyway since it's an insert, but what's at the top of my firebox on the inside is the burn tubes, and I generally try not to bonk those too hard with the logs anyway. The bypass damper is supposed to help with the cleaning in addition to the other function, as you can open it right up and won't bust into the top, I guess.
The Performer looks really similar, but also looks like you will have more options with the door color and etc. Seems like it's right about the same pricing as the Lopi Republic but it's a little less expensive than the Lopi revere.

If the baffle arrangement in the Lopi is anything like that in my Lopi Liberty, it's about as bulletproof as it can be...all solid firebrick, supported by steel. I really don't know how I could damage it. The secondary tubes span the firebox just beneath the baffle, and even if I managed to jam a poker or something up in there, all I'd do would be to lift a brick and maybe get it out of position...but I wouldn't damage it, and it could be set right back down where it belongs. It's much easier to break a firebrick along the back wall of the box by slamming splits in there...also quite easy to avoid doing so. Rick

fossil said:
If the baffle arrangement in the Lopi is anything like that in my Lopi Liberty, it's about as bulletproof as it can be...all solid firebrick, supported by steel. I really don't know how I could damage it. The secondary tubes span the firebox just beneath the baffle, and even if I managed to jam a poker or something up in there, all I'd do would be to lift a brick and maybe get it out of position...but I wouldn't damage it, and it could be set right back down where it belongs. It's much easier to break a firebrick along the back wall of the box by slamming splits in there...also quite easy to avoid doing so. Rick

+1 to that. If I wanted to damage the baffle in my Endeavor, I'd have to 1.) over the store continually or 2.) purposefully beat the hell out of it in an attempt to damage it. Nothing against the other brand, as I know nothing about them. But I can offer my first hand experiences with the Endeavor and a Liberty. Solid, quality stoves.

Todd said:
zan78 said:

That blanket is not part of the baffle, it is simply a thin white blanket (to me it looks cotton, but obviously it is not) that sits on the top of the upper fire bricks. Country says it is there to keep more heat in the stove and not up the flue. I am not really sure if it does anything at all, I took mine out and do not use it

Lennox purchased Country a couple years ago, IMO they make a fine product. I know 4 people that have their stove, 3 inserts and 1 free standing, never heard any complaints about them

I bought my insert b/c it is "approved' to be installed into a ZC fireplace, MY ZC is a pretty small one and the Country was only 1 of a couple that would fit inside.

Elder- that is kinda what I suspected. To each company their own selling points I suppose, and not something to worry about I guess.

Thank you for all the opinions on Country from everyone here. I've been extra leary from all the fraud sweepers and installers I've dealt with and this forum helps a great deal.

OK. I have to say it, and have said it before. What concerns me isn't Country Stoves. They make a hell of a wood stove. What concerns me is Lennox. Over the years they have bought lots of companies and then let them die. Most of them stove companies. My only concern would be replacement parts. Four years ago a guy came here because Lennox wanted five hundred bucks for the replacement refractory in his Lennox cast iron wood stove. They no longer sell that line of stoves.

Country makes great, stout, wood stoves. I just don't trust Lennox as far as I could throw their headquarters building. I just do not think they are serious about the wood stove side of the shop. They keep fishing for a stove line that will bring in the revenue that the central heating business does and if it doesn't they dump it.

Just my opinion.

I own a country wood stove leacy S-260. It is the second biggiest stove country makes, I really like the stove and it has perform very well, but like brother bart stated you just don't know lennox may due, I paid alot of money for my stove and if lennox phases the country line out all i have is a expensive boat anchor. I wish i would have consider these issues before purchasing my stove so when i purchased my second stove for my living room i purchased a woodstock fireview a man needs to buy a stove from a company that is all about building stoves and having a soild reputation of being there for you when you need them.

All really great points. More reasons to lean towards the Lopi. We're going to have one or two more people out that have access to ordering the lopi line as well as installing liners, and double check that our chimney is good to go and will fit it properly. Crossing our fingers!

After 30 years with a Jumbo Moe we got a Country Canyon free standing in 08 and it's working really well.

One of the things I like is that they use a weld in a few places ( door handle, air control) where they could have used a bolt.

Who cares what Lennox does at this point, this things not moving for another thirty years, at which point I'll be compost.

Status
Not open for further replies.