Q&A Country Comfort--Should I get a fan ? - How 'bout the thermo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

MY QUESTIONS TO YOU ARE THESE- 1- I HAVE A COUNTRY COMFORT MODEL WOOD STOVE AND AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE STORE WHERE I BOUGHT THIS STOVE IS ALWAYS TRYING TO SELL ME A FAN TO BLOW MORE OF THE HEAT OUT OF THE BOX. DO YOU FELL THAT A FAN WOULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE OR WOULD IT BE A WASTE OF MONEY.2- I HAVE HEARD SEVERAL OPINIONS ON HOW HIGH UP ON THE EXHAUST PIPE THE THERMOMETER SHOULD BE- PRESENTLY MINE IS ABOUT 18 INCHES

Answer:

1. A fan would help circulate the heat a bit faster- so if you start the stove from cold- it may heat the room/house quicker. After it's running for hours- it won;t make as big of a difference
2. The thermometer can be anywhere- as long as you keep that in mind and adjust the ranges (in your head) for the placement. 18" to 2 feet up the pipe is right- and in this case- the meter should read 250-600 degrees on the surface. Many folks use it on a "single wall" part of the stove surface - and then 450 to 800 degrees is good (your stove may be double wall all the way around- and then you can;t do this)

Status
Not open for further replies.