Country damper repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrybon

Dec 12, 2013
Colorado
I have a 1999 Country Stoves C160 Striker, pre-Lennox wood insert. The damper is a sliding device in the front with a push/pull rod protruding from the side. Sometimes it sticks. Does anyone know how to service this device? I would like to clean and lubricate it. Does anyone know or have a diagram of the parts in there? It sounds like there is a ball or detent of some kind. No obvious openings are visible for external access. I'm not even sure where it is pulling combustion air from. ~John

Puff powdered graphite into the mechanism for lubrication. It resists heat and allows it to slide cleanly. You can find it in hardware stores as a lock and hinge lube or in sporting good stores as a fishing reel lube.

I attempted that, but i cannot find a suitable access. I tried pumping graphite through the push-rod hole, but the gap is not large enough, and it was all wasted on the hearth below. So, back to my questions: "Where does the air flow in from?" and "Does anyone know how to service this mechanism?" and "What is in there?"

Status
Not open for further replies.