1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Country pub & range.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Billybonfire, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Billybonfire

Billybonfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    Went to a nice country pub for Sunday dinner, had a lovely old range, thought folks might like to see.

Photo0307.jpg

Photo0311.jpg

edit - The pub dates from 1642, not sure how old the range is.
    http://www.highmoorrestaurantwigan.co.uk/

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Man, would I ever like to spend a couple of hours in that place on a winter's eve.
    ScotO and Billybonfire like this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

That is ultra-cool. I would love to spend a night lifting some ales with ya over there, Billy! I have a passion for those old taverns and structures, I have never been in a place with that kind of age to it........1642.....wow...

My lovely wife and I just had a nice anniversary dinner a couple weeks ago at a Tavern in Bedford, PA. It was built in 1762, and has all kinds of local provenance as it is on the old Forbes Road (Rt.30) which is the famous Lincoln Highway. It was a small outpost during the French and Indian War and the story goes that George Washington stayed there as a young man on his way to Fort Pitt to fight the French.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We sat at this very table in the basement for our dinner. There several huge cooking hearths like this in the building as it was an Inn and a Tavern back in the day. Lots and lots of neat history with this place.
    Eatonpcat and Billybonfire like this.
  4. Billybonfire

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    Hi Scotty,
    that place looks fantastic, I like the open porches you have over there, and that fireplace...WOW, what a great place to eat on a cold winters day, then a good single malt afterwards. Heaven. :)
    ScotO likes this.
  5. Billybonfire

Loc:
    Lancashire NW England.
    PC160010.JPG
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Very cool!

I love old pubs over your side of the pond. You can feel the history when you walk in.

Oldest one I've been in was Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, in the caves under Nottingham castle. It's one of those places that claims to be the oldest pub in England (along with 20 other places :) ) I had a surreal experience in there- I was drinking with a friend in a cave and there were these Japanese school girls and there were English bikers with beards and leather etc. all talking to each other and taking pictures. One of the bikers was slagging off about Americans, so we started trading insults and had a great time.

Anyway- the pictures bring me back to my many trips to over- thanks!
    Billybonfire likes this.