Country Winslow insert Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shyann

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2008
Western MA
Hi, I just had a Country Winslow insert installed (2nd one). The first one I had when I went to light it blew the glass out all over my room. Apparently the damper was closed from the factory. So they bring second one out..now I am having problems with it running and then shutting down after about 10 hours. It is not out of pellets. Called dealer they said to adjust the damper. The damper does not make a difference at all. The flame burns very low almost going out. Also it is burning the pellets and spitting them out before they totally burn creating a large amount of ash. According to the manual you only have to empty the draft drawer every 50 bags. I am burning cubex pellets and have an AOK installed. I am going to call Monday just hoping someone could give me some insight. Thanks, Shyann

Is the ash drawer in tight? Also, check to see that the burn pot is in correctly and not ajar. Worth checking the door seal too (dollar bill test) while you're at it. Any of those will screw up the draft causing you burn problems. I've got a Profile 30 Insert (same mfg) and it works great so I think once you get this figured out you'll be happy.

I have the Winslow free standing, with the draft slide all the way in. It doesn't seem to matter where its set it burns the same. This is a rather dirty stove it produces way more ash than the quadrafire I replaced it with. All things considered I like the Winslow better than the Quad for various reasons. The Winslow its a nice running stove I had to replace the igniter under warranty no issues in getting it replaced. I took the old igniter in to give to the dealer he didn't want it and gave me a new one. I adjusted this one up tighter to the fire pot and have had only a couple of mis fires since replacing it. I think part of the reason for a mis fire now is a ton of hardwood pellets I have are just a little harder to ignite. I tried a corn mixture in it, it doesn't like corn at all. I will save the corn for the Magnum Countryside corn burner I have in the main part of the house, that stove puts out some serious heat when called on.

My guess on your problem is an air leak that may show up more after it heats up. There is a vacume switch inside the left door that senses if the door is opened, it will shut the stove down if if it looses vacume. If it's running for a short time then shutting down that would be my first guess. For a test you could jump the wires to see if it will stay running. If does you have a leak that needs to be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.