County Tree and brush dump/recycling center

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I was in the area and decided to drop by and find out the exact procedure to scrounge from the county.

"Just go in and take what you want. You can't cut down there, you can't climb on the pile."

Do I need a (landfill) permit?

"Nope"

Can I take some now?

"I'm closing in 20 minutes, be fast."

So I got a few hundred pounds :)

They couldn't pay me enough to climb that pile. Way too unstable. I wish I was able to saw down there, but I understand why they wouldn't let anybody do it.

Matt and looking forward to next year being a warm winter.

Goes on sale for sixty bucks frequently at Harbor Freight. I loaded, unloaded and reloaded 11 cast iron Jotul stoves with the taller version on my trailer last year. 300 - 500 pounds each.

Attachments

• lift.gif
    lift.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 301
Here's what I use, Railroad tie tongs. With 2 guys, you can lift 300 to 400 pounds. Long logs can be picked up by the end, lifted into a truck with ease. My father worked for the railroad many years ago and I have had them for over 30 years.
catTimberTong.jpg

I use a ramp and roll the larger rounds into the truck Or bring a few wedges and a shedge hammer and splitt the rounds into manageable sizes.
Personally I usually only take what I can load. then if I have the time I may go back with wedges.

This year I cut about 4 full cords from my city recycle center. Like you, they said cut what you want or we can help load you up with a fork lift. I was leery of loading logs with a forklift into a pickup, so I just cut up enough to fill the truck, leave the mess there and split at home. What a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.