couple id's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Had some dozer work done on some fence lines and this was some of the wood I found. I've never cut any of either one to my knowledge.
20140805_083221.jpg 20140805_083123.jpg 20140805_083139.jpg 1407247358985.jpg 1407247395343.jpg
1407247546628.jpg

Rotten wood and Cottonwood? ;lol Second pic looks like that one is pretty far gone except for a couple of splits. I probably wouldn't mess with it. Last pics, I'm not familiar enough with Cotton in the smaller diameters to say for sure, but it looks like it could be...

Rotten wood and Cottonwood? ;lol Second pic looks like that one is pretty far gone except for a couple of splits. I probably wouldn't mess with it. Last pics, I'm not familiar enough with Cotton in the smaller diameters to say for sure, but it looks like it could be...

Yea it's not worth fooling with, I was just interested. As far as the other one goes, cottonwood did cross my mind. It was pushed over by a creek. I've got a lot of good wood from it too, these are just the two I didn't know. Cottonwood not very good is it?

Yea it's not worth fooling with, I was just interested...Cottonwood not very good is it?
That rotter has gotta be some kind of Oak; I can still see the medullary rays. Cottonwood is low on the charts but might do you well for short chill-buster fires in the fall. What I'm gonna do with some dead Tulip around here is to cut it up real small for starter wood. The little bit I tried last year seemed like it burned faster and hotter than even the Red Pine kindling I made. I bet Cotton burns the same way, and I believe it dries fast like Tulip does. That stuff of yours looks pretty fresh and soggy, though....

Last edited:
the old stuff is oak, I clean that stuff up everywhere in my woods. The other looks like big tooth aspen. Not much different than cottonwood. I also burn that too. I always have both of those in my yearly supply. I would process it and burn it.

the old stuff is oak, I clean that stuff up everywhere in my woods. The other looks like big tooth aspen. Not much different than cottonwood. I also burn that too. I always have both of those in my yearly supply. I would process it and burn it.

Don't know if big tooth aspen is in Mississippi but I could be wrong

My first time cutting poplar. Man it sure cuts and splits easy. Got plenty of it I may just go on and cut a couple faces. 20140805_092221.jpg

Yeah, I dont know about that. I think of the aspens as a northern species. But the range may drop south or there is a southern version...or some other such thing.

Eastern cottonwood and some others plus hybrids. White poplar and Lombardy and some others in the poplar group. probably not big tooth aspen or other aspens. no quaking or balsam.

My first time cutting poplar. Man it sure cuts and splits easy.
If I find it lights faster than Pine, that would be great because it sure splits a lot easier. Pine can be a pain with all the branches/knots.

I don't like burning anything in my stove that emits black smoke. _g

Status
Not open for further replies.