Couple Mods to my new NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
In the process of installing my new NC-30 I discovered the fan would not fit behind the stove without using some sort of elbow in the stove pipe eliminating my straight shot. To circumvent that bend I took the liberty of modding the fan and building a curved pipe to allow it to hang below the stove.

I also just do not like the gold hardware so I fabbed up a little handle. It is press fit for now to see if it stays cool enough to handle. Once I get the heat test out of the way I will take the door to the shop and tack the handle in place with a couple welds. For those in the know - how hot does the handle get on this stove?

Just waiting for my new 6" Dbl wall stove pipe to show up in the mail and I will fire this thing up and burn off the stink on a cool morning with windows open and fans blowing.

I am also adding onto the brick hearth for a place to stack wood inside w/o the mess and installing tile in the floor out front to meet code. I think I am going to love this stove.

Bob Urban

stove%20mods%20012_zps9d75c026.jpg

stove%20mods%20009_zps4a976c47.jpg

stove%20mods%20008_zps588d56d8.jpg

Reactions: pen
Love the handle Bob, but why not a knife?:cool:
Not sure on the 30, but the handle/rod on my stove gets pretty dang hot. I'm glad it's got one of those spring handles on it.

Yea - I may have to go bigger on the bird cage fab but hoping I can get away with the little one. As long as I keep direct heat away from the knob on the end - I can see that part getting really hot!!

Fortunately I have welding gloves by the box load so worst case I will just have to wear them. Probably a "best practice" anyway but I have a tendancy to leave them off from all my years welding and not wearing them when I should :)

With the exception of this slight modification:

modified-englander-30-jpg.42743

this is my favorite

firestarters 001.jpg

pen

Well the handle doesn't get hot so that is a go. Now I just need to fab something up for a handle on the draft slide. Stove is working great and hearth is not finished. Waiting for my electrician to come over and move a plug up behind the TV so I can finish installing the brick on that end. Electricity scares me - anything else I will DIY.

Reactions: pen
I have discovered what others have before me. The ash plug is dumb!! I will be picking up a fire brick and replacing it in the near future so my tools stop hitting it. Beyond that I have zero complaints with my investment in warmth.

Well I do still wish she opened on the left but not 1000-1500$ worth for a potentially equivilant stove - Potentially being the key word.

while you are picking up the firebrick at the hardware store, get yourself a piece of 1/4 inch rod, and some door gasket rope to fit over it, and place it up between your baffle boards to keep them from shifting around / fill the factory gap. BrotherBart came up with that solution.

pen

Thanks Pen - Did that mod right out the gate after reading BBart's reply to another post. I had some gasket rope left over from my VC work last year and a welding rod slipped in there nicely.

Put the rod and rope on either the right or left side so the rope isn't constantly in the flame path.

When the only BS you are interested in is burning stuff...

Pen,
love that pic. I will be doing that "mod" this weekend and get rid of the bloody ash plug. Uhhggg...

2 weekends ago I noticed the 30 had a significant air leak coming from the plug. The ribbons of flame were shooting straight up, so I held my welding glove over the hole in the ash drawer and it stopped. I cut a piece of S.S. and sealed it up with some high temp silicone from the bottom side. Air leak gone! Ash plug, gone, as soon as as I can buy some brick.

Bob, that has me thinking now..... my 30 is in the fireplace so I can't access the fan. Someday I'm going to have to and I should yearly for oiling. Where does that put the oil hole? Wondering if I add something similar that would get it below the stove if I could access the oiler hole from the front.

I used furnace cement on the bottom of the brick that I used to cover that hole. RTV isn't going to hold up long inside a stove. When you replace that plug with a brick, either just let ash fill the gaps and do the job, or be OCD like I was and put some cement down around it.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.