Couple NEWBIE question in regards to closing it down for the season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
In Upstate, NY and we're done using the stove (for now that is)!

1) We have vacuumed everything up in the Jotul Castine, washed the outside, cleaned the class. We will set up an appointment to get our chimney clean. Anything else we need to do to make sure our baby last for years to come?

2) I'd like to keep the ambience of the wood stove going since we spend a lot of time in this room. Is it okay to put a HUGE Candle inside the stove or is that not kosher? I'm thinking a giant candle in a glass bowl of some sort....I know they sell those giant candles in those giant glass jugs or what not at Yankee Candle? This can't do any harm, right?

Please advise! This has been a very successful rookie year due to the many helpful people on here!!!!

11 Face Cords for our first winter (furnace went on like 4 times all winter for a few minutes.........Gas Bill for 6 months was a whopping $249 and change!) I thought we did pretty well. If only we could get FREE wood now!

Thanks again!

Don't know about the candle but Morso recommends filling your ash pan with kitty litter to absorb any moisture. Makes good sense to me, especially if you are in a humid climate.

Personally I wouldn't figure the season is over just yet. We had the eighties here today and will be in the thirties at night by Friday night.

Sounds good . . . I pretty much do the same . . . clean out the inside of the fire box and ash pan, vacuum the outside, clean the glass, clean out the flue pipe and sweep the chimney, clean the hearth and apply graphite powder to the air lever and hinges. I know some members in the past have put a pan or box of baking soda inside the firebox to reduce moisture and any residual smells of creosote which may come down the chimney due to the warm air inversion.

I don't see why you couldn't try burning a candle in the stove if you so choose . . . but unless the door is open don't expect to get much smell . . . and the light show from the candle just won't be able to measure up to the secondary combustion action.

One can stuff insulation in the flue to stop downdrafts but that might not be so good if you are running a candle in there.

You should also do a complete inspection of the stove. That is, all the seals, all the gaskets and replace if necessary. Most times not necessary but if they are showing any signs of breakdown then it is cheap to replace them and be assured of no leaks next fall. Do the dollar bill check on the firebox door (this is also the gasket which goes bad the most or the soonest).

Status
Not open for further replies.