Couple of Chimney Cleaning Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjohnson

Oct 15, 2006
Hello, I'm a new member from Central Massachusetts.... I just had a couple of quick questions regarding chimney cleaning....

I had our stove/chimney inspected last year by a certified sweep who said everything looked fine, I thought he was going to get up on the roof and clean the chimney, but instead did it from the bottom up. This year I was going to sweep it myself, but I'm not sure which brush rods to buy - exactly how flexible are the fiberglass rods(the hardware store up the road sells the Rutland fiberglass rods), will they go through the clay flue and then make the 90 degree bend up the chimney which is clay/terra cotta lined - or do I need to use rods that are specifically advertised as being flexible? Also, there's the flue which the stove pipe fits into and then a few feet under that there's a cleanout door (it's a basement install) which entry should I use to run the brush up? Is there less of an extreme bend if I go up the bottom cleanout instead of the top flue? I don't really want to get up on the roof.

Whats the average price in the northeast for a chimney sweeping? I paid $160 last year, and the guy was here for maybe 25 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.