Couple questions about Englander 25PDV.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

privateuser

Nov 24, 2010
Central New York
Englander 25PDV purchased from Lowes store. It was replacing a Jamestown J2000 unit. My questions are as follows:

1) The thermostat use does not kick the stove into high when closed(circuit). Should it not when closed turn the unit up to its high setting and when opened go back to the low? Have the thermostat installed with Rh/W terminals. Tested with the jumper only too no change.

2) The blower fan seem to me extremely loud on start up and past setting 5, just a horribly motor sound. Sure it is not going to be whisper quiet but it is double the sound level of the Jamestown. It does quiet down when my hand is placed over the intake, the hand open in a web fashion while still producing the same air flow out of the heat exchanger.

Otherwise great stove, terrific heat output. I truly hope there is a problem here and it can be resolved.

Thanks you.
- Marty

Marty welcome to the forum.

You might want to check the available modes that the 25PDV has for operating when on thermostat.

That is what determines how it acts, some controllers have three modes some only two.

Manual, Auto, and High/Low

With the High/Low switching from a maintenance fire to to a selected by the user high firing rate (doesn't have to be the maximum for the stove).

Auto would be from no fire to a selected firing rate.

Manual is for us old geezers who are control freaks ;-).

The thermostat control on the 25PDV only controls the fuel feed rate. When the thermostat is open the stove will go into setting 1 on the fuel feed. When the thermostat is closed, the stove will go to the fuel feed setting that you apply. The recommendation is that the fan setting should match the fuel feed setting. So if your stove is running at a setting 7 for fuel when the thermostat is closed, your fan setting should be 7 as well. This means that the fan is always running at setting 7, which can be noisy.

I do wish that the fan setting could be adjusted with the fuel feed rate, but that's not how it works on my stove (55-SHP22 same as 25PDV).

I always leave the fan setting at 9, and while it certainly is a loud fan, I don't have any abnormally high motor noise. It's also in my dining room, so it is away from the TV and bedrooms and is not as bothersome that way.

I've had my thermostat for 2 years now and I love it. The only issues is during early fall, late spring when even the low setting gets the house too warm. There isn't an auto-ignite feature that runs off of the thermostat on these stoves. I play with the Low Burn Air and Low Fuel Feed settings to get the stove running as low as possible in idle mode so I'm using less pellets and not heating the house when I don't need to.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.