1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cover for OAK Termination

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by subsailor, Feb 6, 2013.

1. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    My outside OAK termination has a tendency to plug during heavy wind blown snow. I'm looking for ideas for how I can cover it to prevent this from happening. Any thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Are you looking to replace? Or add?

I just installed an OAK on the Fahrenheit and the Wood eater (both within a week). I used B-vent Gas covers.

I ended up bending the Fahrenheits like the wood eaters. That way the top is covered from rain and such.

If your looking to add on, then this is no help :( sorry

2013-02-02_18-31-41_320.jpg 2013-01-26_15-37-56_996.jpg 2013-01-26_15-38-51_979.jpg
  3. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I saw your original post. I like that, but I'm adding on.
  4. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Can try a Alaskan trucker trick buy using a leg of a pair of nylons over the vent. I use the trick on my Jeep when driving around when I probably shouldn't be.
  5. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I used a 4 inch fresh air intake cover on mine. It has a hood to protect it from rain and snow and a screen to keep critters out. May or may not work for you, or it might be what you already have.

OAK is on the left in the pic. Kinda hard to see, but its 3 inch gas vent pipe that increases to 4 inch where the hood is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360204176.227818.jpg
    DexterDay likes this.
  6. New Hampshire Jim

New Hampshire Jim Member

Loc:
    Westville New Hampshire
    0206132154.jpg
    I made mine from a piece of aluminum sheet metal and a couple of sheets of lexan( Working in a machine shop helps). It is mounted above the electric box on the side of my house. The bottom Is open and the sides are lexan. So far 2 seasons and no problems.Picture was taken with a camera phone and flashlight. Subsailor you can always wait till you pull that BOOMER into Portsmouth for refit and get one made custom
  7. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Some sort of 90° down elbow?
  8. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    What's the existing termination look like? What type of pipe is it?

I'm thinking I'm incorrect in assuming it's wind driven snow making its way into the intake. Are you saying it's getting buried by snow drifts?
  9. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Hope it works, just installed last Saturday.

image.jpg