Cover for OAK Termination

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
My outside OAK termination has a tendency to plug during heavy wind blown snow. I'm looking for ideas for how I can cover it to prevent this from happening. Any thoughts?

Are you looking to replace? Or add?

I just installed an OAK on the Fahrenheit and the Wood eater (both within a week). I used B-vent Gas covers.

I ended up bending the Fahrenheits like the wood eaters. That way the top is covered from rain and such.

If your looking to add on, then this is no help :( sorry

2013-02-02_18-31-41_320.jpg 2013-01-26_15-37-56_996.jpg 2013-01-26_15-38-51_979.jpg

I saw your original post. I like that, but I'm adding on.

Can try a Alaskan trucker trick buy using a leg of a pair of nylons over the vent. I use the trick on my Jeep when driving around when I probably shouldn't be.

I used a 4 inch fresh air intake cover on mine. It has a hood to protect it from rain and snow and a screen to keep critters out. May or may not work for you, or it might be what you already have.

OAK is on the left in the pic. Kinda hard to see, but its 3 inch gas vent pipe that increases to 4 inch where the hood is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360204176.227818.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
0206132154.jpg
I made mine from a piece of aluminum sheet metal and a couple of sheets of lexan( Working in a machine shop helps). It is mounted above the electric box on the side of my house. The bottom Is open and the sides are lexan. So far 2 seasons and no problems.Picture was taken with a camera phone and flashlight. Subsailor you can always wait till you pull that BOOMER into Portsmouth for refit and get one made custom

Some sort of 90° down elbow?

What's the existing termination look like? What type of pipe is it?

I'm thinking I'm incorrect in assuming it's wind driven snow making its way into the intake. Are you saying it's getting buried by snow drifts?

Hope it works, just installed last Saturday.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.