cover or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Dec 16, 2008
Maine
I know this topic has been beaten to death with a stick and every other weapon of choice but here goes. If you have some C/S wood from standing dead trees should it be covered or left exposed to the elements?

Yup . . . beaten to death with a stick . . . and then thrown in the fire to boot.

To cover or not cover . . . this question elicits the same response as cat or secondary combustion, steel or cast iron or soapstone, Ford or Chevy, etc. Folks can be pretty fervent in what they do and will defend why they do what they do to no end.

All I can say is that what I do works for me and this is what I do.

I cut, split and stack my wood . . . doesn't matter if if is standing dead, cut that day or cut 6 months ago. I stack this wood in the Fall and leave it uncovered . . . and yes, of course, living in Maine it gets covered in snow, ice and what have you. I leave these stacks in place in the Spring and Summer and come Fall move these now seasoned stacks into my woodshed . . . where they will continue to season and now that I've been able to get ahead this wood generally is used much later in the season.

As I said . . . others do things differently . . . my own take . . . there is no right or wrong way to do things . . . as long as the wood seasons and burns well for you . . . and for me this practice works well.

I don't cover my stacks, partially because i don't think it is necessary, but I guess a major reason is that covering is a pain, at least in the windy place I keep my wood. I try to keep a small stack covered to use for campfires in rainy or snowy weather, and the cover is constantly blowing off. I'd hate to try to keep all of the stacks covered.

It depends upon what you are going to use for a cover. Tarps are the worst for covering. Old galvanized roofing works great. Cover it with what you will but cover the tops only. Even then, we leave out stacks uncovered the first summer and fall and cover just before snow flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.