Cover Song Better Than the Original?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
was talking with one of my co-worker's, who is even younger than me, and really doesn't know anything but contemporary pop/hip hop music, and told him tha many songs are cover songs from ages past, blah blah. So I'm curious who likes a recorded cover version of a song better than some originals?

obvious ones for me are:
Jimi's versions of both "All Along the Watchtower" and "Hey Joe"

I expect to learn a few songs I didn't even know were covers.
one that makes me laugh is when I was maybe 10 a friend of mine told me Guns and Roses wrote Knockin on Heaven's Door and didn't beleive me when I told him it was an old Dylan tune.

btw, please dont say Clapton's version of "I Shot the Sheriff". Thank you.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
"Love In Vain" Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues Singers - 1937. Here's the original from the dawn of recording (two takes of it). This was done in a hotel, with Johnson playing in one room and the recording equipment (such as it was back then) in an adjacent room. Then Clapton doing it a few decades later. You'll recognize it if you know your Rolling Stones.

I like Faith's country version better than Joplin's original.

Yeah I know. Sacrilege.

I like 'em both...considering the genre & the decade.

And then there is:

Reactions: MasterMech
"The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel. Covered by Mumford and sons. I like them both. Don't mind the video, but most on Youtube are live concert type of crappy recordings.

Reactions: PapaDave
might not be better but Jamey Johnson's version of "Set 'Em Up Joe" by Vern Gosdin is pretty close.

Best ever was The Band's cover of Springsteen's Atlantic City

Doesn't even sound like Leppard/Joe Elliot, excellent cover.

Oh what the hell, one more. Great White got their start as a Zepplin cover act. Not an easy band to cover for sure.

I don't know if it's "better", but it's just as good IMO.

Robert Plant once said "This guy sounds more like me than I do." ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Some stronger language in the second one, but way better. Much more soulful.

Reactions: DexterDay
Clapton....I Shot the Sheriff.....
:) sSc_hiding.gif

Toss up on Social Distortion's cover of Cash's "Ring of Fire" -- I like them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.