Cover the Flue/cap for Season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
So i keep thinking after I clean for the season, I should cap or cover with a bag, my chimney cap.
I am concerned with all the rain for the next few months if its not in use. i dont want water sitting in an elbow or something.... but then i also wonder about condensation when covered so i start thinking of like a Burlap bag/wrap.

any one else "summer-ize" the flue?
feelings?

Doggy, Leave it uncovered, it'll breath better.

I have a regular cap on mine that I leave all year. This prevents water from entering and lets it breathe. As far as sealing it up I'm not sure, but I would want a cap over mine even when I'm burning.

I cover mine with a piece of durock and a fireplace brick for the off season months. The chimney has a 6' by 3' slate on top of it, however wind driven rain will still get under it, and down into the stove. I put the durock and the brick on top of the 6" flue, and leave some breathing room on one of the edges of the cover, just so moisture doesn't build up in the flue... but overall, I'd say 90% of it is covered.

-- Mike

lvfd50 said:
I have a regular cap on mine that I leave all year. This prevents water from entering and lets it breathe. As far as sealing it up I'm not sure, but I would want a cap over mine even when I'm burning.

well yea...no kidding.... and too keep those critters from moving in.
I was talking about waterproofing for the off season, rain doesnt fall straight down. .. and since it not in use i dont want standing water.. or now that i think about it bee's?? anyone get bee hive in a flue liner before?

thanks guys for the info. i want it to breath but i also would like to minimalize the rain intake...

Before I removed our old block chimneys I used to lay a board over them and a heavy brick on top
of that for the time not used. This kept the critters out mainly. Just don't forget to remove the cover
for the first fire. If you do it will let you know quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.