Covering Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd, that looks like 4 full cord? If I had the luxery of only burning 4 cord it would be perfect! I am in the relm of 7-10 cord

Mtarbert,

the kids are way too old to miss their sandbox. However the Mrs. has her eye on that area for a garden. I have to defend it regularly.

Makes a nice base for the racks.

Here are some shots of mine. The translucent roof lets the sun shine onto the wood a bit, though there are too many trees around to take full advantage of that.

Attachments

• Shed3Apr2007.jpg
    Shed3Apr2007.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 569
  • ShedApr2007.jpg
    ShedApr2007.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 494
Hi,

I like Todd's piles too. Mine are the same (at least the snowfence supports in the ground) but my wood does not look nearly as good. I scrounge so I take what I can get.

But it is effective. At the top I have a string going across, to give it some extra strength agains bowing out. I also have a large tarp over the top, because my piles are in the woods and it tends to stay more moist there.

Any wood in the northeast tends to mold fast if it is not covered. At least in my experience.

carpniels

Adirondackwoodburner said:
What does everyone do with this? Last year I stacked my wood in two really long rows that were two rows deep. Which equaled about 5 cord. I had them on pallets and covered them with metal roofing. This seems to be standard practice in my area. Others do not cover the wood for the first month and then will cover it..

Except for the three days worth of wood in my deck box, I don't cover any of my wood. I let the wood season for two years. Never had any problems. Surface moisture is just that, SURFACE moisture. YMMV.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Todd, that looks like 4 full cord? If I had the luxery of only burning 4 cord it would be perfect! I am in the relm of 7-10 cord

Actually it's 6 full cords. The darker stuff towards the back is 3 cord of seasoned oak that will be burned next winter. The other 3 cord was cut and split this spring, mostly black locust and will be burned the following winter.

I cover my wood pile with 2 layers. The first layer is a tuff nylon bags that buld bax mix comes in. I cut and split them open to make one big trap. I put that down over the wood first, Then i cover it with the cheap plastic traps. I put the two layers down to make the traps last longer. One some of my pile i have the THICK roll ruber roofing. I would take all the cut offs I could get from at my last job. I was a maint. tech for a Large globel real esate investment company. When they would build new warehouses and i was in the right place I would take some home. As you at the pics, you will see Im a little tight on room. I do have a great neighbor whois great and is letting me stack mor of my wood on his property/easement.

Attachments

• DSCN0728.JPG
    DSCN0728.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 453
Im sorry for mulit post for pics, next time I will have lower picture quaillty all the way down. My house is the one down on the bottom of the hill by the coke machine. It's kinda funny, where I stack most of wood is the easement I rent from the Ni-gas for $5.00 a year, go figure.

Attachments

• DSCN0733.JPG
    DSCN0733.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 441
last pic of night sorry for multi post. This is where my neighbor is letting me stack some more wood on Ni-gas easement. The black dirt area is where my garden is. It's great to have GREAT NEIGHBORS.

Attachments

• DSCN0734.JPG
    DSCN0734.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 452
Todd said:
My thinking is if you stay over 1 year ahead on your firewood supply, there is no need to cover until late fall or not at all if your like me and bring in about a weeks worth next to the stove. However I am very tempted to build a roof extention on the side of my garage over my wood just so I don't have to worry about brushing snow off the piles and to keep out of the weather.

Todd:
...NICE stacks! Love the T-post method! Thinking of building a "lean to" off the garage? I've got a similar situation...I'm going to be building a "lean to" also. A friend gave me an idea which I'm going to try. Simple, effective, and should (hopefully) get around 'permit' issues. The "roof" is going to be made from simple rafter/truss design spaced 4 feet apart (pergola style set-up)...going to "stretch" the 1.5" x 3" rectangular "wire mesh fence" across, staple it to the frame...then cover it with a green tarp. If I can ever "get around to it" I'll take pics. and keep all up to date...

Once again nice pics...thanks for sharing!

My understanding in MA, is that as long as you stay inside the property setback requirements, they don't require a permit on anything with a dirt floor. Put down a wooden floor, or pour a slab, and you are into permit city.

You can do a gravel floor or otherwise make a suitable base, but can't put a solid floor down, which is fine for those of us building woodsheds where we basically just need a couple of poles to keep the wood off the ground.

Gooserider (who has 2 wood-sheds and a portable garage)

Status
Not open for further replies.