1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Covering The Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by soupy1957, Sep 4, 2010.

1. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Oldspark says been doing it this way for ever and it works for me, no moisture problem what so ever except for snow that blows under tarp in blizzards.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Member

Loc:
    Southwestern Pa
    Couldn't have said it better myself. There's only one difference between me and you Jake, I place the log in the stove like a loaf of freshly risen bread :) !!
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    OK, truth be told I too gingerly place the splits and rounds in the stove . . . don't want to bash the baffles or accidentally strike the glass . . . I just took some poetic license since I thought it sounded better describing how I carefully handle the wood until that final moment when I am rough with it . . . when the truth is I'm just a big ol' teddy bear who still handles the wood gently even at the very end . . . thought truthfully it has more to do with not wanting to damage the stove than being gentle with the wood. ;)
  4. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Putting wood in the stove like a loaf of bread in the oven describes it very well.
  5. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Member

Loc:
    Southwestern Pa
    Putting the wood in the stove is just the perfect end to a long journey!
  6. pyroclayman

pyroclayman New Member

Loc:
    Central Oregon
    I assume that you, as almost all central Oregonions do, are talking about lodgepole pine. It's sure handy how this stuff cure up in one summer.
  7. ChillyGator

ChillyGator New Member

Loc:
    NorthFlorida
    Never worry about the ice and snow...life's just too short!
  8. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and VT
    I probably won't throw the cover on until the snow flies. Even then, it's just to make life easier when I have to get wood from the stacks to refill the wood cribs next to the house.