Covering Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yaya, i got my rolled roofing cheap, from a guy that listed it on craigslist. It was in pieces say 10x14, 12x8, you name it. I think it was $20 a roll. I just cut 'em into 24 inch strips and use 'em like that. None of 'em have torn yet, they stay put, and I've been using the same for 3 years now. My wood stays covered year round, tops only.

NH_Wood said:
NATE379 said:
Probably would but I'm not going to spendy several hundred $$s on roofing material to cover firewood!

ansehnlich1 said:
Rubber roofing, cut 24 inches wide, on top, works like a charm.

I also put plywood/osb cutoffs on top the woodpile, just pieces spaced apart, and then put the rubber roofing on TOP of that....gives a nice flat surface for the cement block to sit on, guaranteed no blowing off unless hurricaine winds come along.

Keep an eye on Craigslist - took me a year searching about once per month to find a used rubber roofing deal near my home. Bought a 10'X50' roll for $100. Cut enough squares to cover 33 pallets (about 3 years of my supply). Need to get some more, but for now, most of the wood is covered - seems to be working great so far. Cheers!

I have found the best, easiest and cheapest way to hold down tarps is old milk jugs filled with water placed on both sides of the row of wood connected by bungee straps, no amount of wind has displaced this system so far. The fact that tarps suck is another story.

In mid summer, I had 4+ cords on the driveway covered with plywood screwed together and fastened down with nylon twine, passed through drilled holes in the plywood close to the wood, and fastened below to drywall screws in the wood. I looked at it, ruminated, and then took off the plywood, fastened to the garage end wall, and stacked two rows to the ceiling - 4 cords. I still had a cord or so on the driveway, covered with a piece of plastic. With this little snow we've had so far, I'm reminded why I think that whole exterior winter wood moving sucks.

oldspark said:
I have found the best, easiest and cheapest way to hold down tarps is old milk jugs filled with water placed on both sides of the row of wood connected by bungee straps, no amount of wind has displaced this system so far. The fact that tarps suck is another story.

When I used tarps, I just used nails in the pallets or in lower splits and attached the bungees from grommet to nail. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
oldspark said:

When I used tarps, I just used nails in the pallets or in lower splits and attached the bungees from grommet to nail. Cheers!
Ah I might give that a try.

We missed most of the snow but wind over 50mph took down one of my big white pines - root ball ripped right out of ground.........also peeled off the tarps my wife picked up last week to cover our stacks - I am a believer in covering tops only with plywood or other materials and did not want to give her a hard time about the tarp thing but she can deal with it! Lol

Let me know if you find anything and there is extra.

A while back I asked at SBS for some pallets and I may as well have asked for the guys first born kid. AND it's not like I have never been there before and asked... I in there a few times a week and even have an account with them.

bogydave said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
So here is the solution: You’ll need an portable electric drill, screws and some small plywood (or OSB) cleats. Cover your stacks with your free lumber tarp, which you can cut to the exact size you need. it was free anyway right? so you don’t have to worry about cutting it. You’ll want just enough overlap to shed water off your wood stacks, while not covering the sides too much, so the wood can still breath. Now, along the sides off the stacks you take your little plywood cleats, that are around 4†square, and screw the edges of the tarps down on the sides of the stack. Any loose folds in the tarp you fold up tightly and put a cleat right over the fold to stop that area from flapping in the wind. After you get one side done you can pull the tarp easier and tighter while screwing it down.
That’s it, the result is a nice tight cover that will not flap in the wind or come loose. Those cleats hold much better that weights on the top or ropes through grommets, and they won’t rip. I guarantee it. Best part is the free lumber tarps hold up extremely well and don’t cost you anything. Normally, from what I’ve seen, you have about 3 colors to choose from. White, black and a light brown color. Of course they usually have lettering on one side, but you just flip them over.
If you are using the wood from the stacks under the tarps you can take a small bucket or box to put the cleats in, and your small hand drill and unscrew the first few cleats at one end of the stack. Grab what wood you need and either pull the tarp down tightly again or fold it back and re-screw the cleats in over the folded tarps.

This works. It doesn’t mater how strong your wind is.

Great idea.
I'm gonna check next time I'm at the lumber yard.
I have some stuff not in the shed, be a good test (max wind last year was 80 MPH, took a few of my shingles)

Lumber yards think pallets are gold. They use them for everything. So if they give any away, I don't think they would even make good kindling.
Pallets free at the place they sell shingles on Bogard, they got lots, by Furgeson, (was Arctic Builders but SBS bought them) or HD & Lowes.

Galco.

I got a whole bunch from the dog food place down the road from me up on the Palmer-Wasilla.

Just doubt I'm getting tarps from SBS without buying them.

NATE379 said:
Galco.

I got a whole bunch from the dog food place down the road from me up on the Palmer-Wasilla.

Just doubt I'm getting tarps from SBS without buying them.
They wouldn't seriously try to sell the used lumber tarps to you would they?
When I get them at my local lumber yard the only trick is to get them before they throw them in the garbage.
At the beam laminating place, where I often get them, they actually have a bin just outside their property where they nicely fold up the used tarps and put them for people just like me who have a use for them.
I rarely use them for covering wood anymore since I have a nice woodshed, but i use lots of them as coversheets for my stucco business. In a year I probably go through 2000 lin. ft of these used lumber tarps

This IMHO is the simplest cheapest and most durable way to cover your wood stacks.

Cut the old lumber tarp to size.
cuttarp.JPG

Fold tarp edges and srew plywood cleats into the wood over the folded edges. Done!
cleattarp.JPG

No cheap retail tarps, ropes or bungees to buy and wear out,no metal roofing or sheets of plywood to worry about flying off in the wind and killing someone, no milk jugs. blocks or other types of weights to hold anything down.
Nice and simple and clean.

Reactions: Lewiston
Good picture.
We just had some 70 MPH winds, (found a few thing I forgot to store or tie down ) I may try it but I'll put the screws in some of the larger pieces,
I could just see the tarp with a few splits hanging on, flying away. :)
I might modify it just a bit & put a hole in the very top to let any moisture out, as I'll be covering some fresh green stuff. When I've covered green stuff with tarps, I've noticed ice/water forming on the underside of the tarp from condensation, so letting some air escape may help drying the green stuff.

Like Dave said, that would never hold with the winds we get.

THOUGH my weighted down and tied down covers didn't move! Did have my flag shred apart and then then mount broke off the house. Also need to rethink the boxes I built for my 2 young trees to protect them. One is 8 feet tall the other 6ft. I had put in 4 pieces of #5 rebar 3ft long into the ground and tied the boxes at all corners to the rebar. The 550 cord I used didn't hold up.

It will hold up in the wind if you make sure you wrap it well and secure it to some large rounds as Dave suggested.

Here's a little wind test for you. ;-)

Glad we don't get those winds up here just a whole lot of snow and a whole lot of cold. I have my stacks cOvered with tarps with a few splits on top holding them Down they shouldn't move.

Carbon_Liberator said:
It will hold up in the wind if you make sure you wrap it well and secure it to some large rounds as Dave suggested.

Here's a little wind test for you. ;-)

AWESOME.!!!
Fly much?

LOL
I thought you might get a kick out of that Dave. :p
I was actually just putting the machine away for the winter and I usually do a final engine run in the driveway before mothballing it. So I thought why not.
Frankly it did expose a weakness on the tarp on the camera side where it started to lift one of the pieces of wood, but I didn’t really secure the tarp on that side the way it should be. I didn’t secure it right down to the ground like I normally would have. I had only put that tarp on to take a picture and demonstrate the how simple and cheap that method is for covering wood stacks. I don’t plan on leaving that stack covered, it will be split and stacked in the woodshed this weekend, and I’ll be getting another load to replace it as soon as I can. I don't know exactly what the wind speed would be coming off that prop, but I'm sure it's at least 70 mph, probably more.

And yes, after not flying for two years I made up for it this summer. :cheese: I even put up a couple of new youtube flying video.

Here's one >>> Flying video<<<

I thought the wind test wast perfect.
I got the wood shed full. Maybe should cover the spruce this spring. I think the cold dry winter will dry it even more.
Got a cord of birch to split, need 4 more for 13 - 14 stuff.

Saw a flying bag on there. That's what the kite guys call my chute.
Real nice video. Great camera mount too.

NATE379 said:
I'm going to see how this works out with the OSB tied down. I don't think it will blow off... though I hope it doesn't catch the wind so much that it pulls the stacks down.

I like to keep them covered... some summers we get so much rain it's hard to get a chance to cut the lawn even. I wouldn't worry about it so much for winter, but see I'm going to be out of country for about a year, leaving pretty soon, so I won't be around to mess with it.

Are you deploying?

How big a prop must a tarp withstand,
before you can trust it on the stack?
How my MPH must the stack be able to take,
before it pleases this man.
And how many times just for grins,
will that poor wood be fanned.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind,
the answer is blowing in the wind.

- Billy Bob Dylan

Some days it's darn near that! I have to put earplugs in to be able to sleep cause it's so loud even in the house... and I worry about the roof coming off!

The leaf blower "test" (ahahahaha) isn't anything close to the winds we get. Those little trees near the wood pile would be all broken in 1/2 in a few mintues.

How do you put a hole in a brick?

pen said:
I've had good luck putting a tarp over the woodpile and running a cord through the grommets and hanging a brick w/ a hole in it off of that cord in a bunch of places around the pile.

pen

I want to cover my wood because silly as it sounds, I think rain will make the wood wet. Call me crazy, I know.

All I have are a few pretty cheapo tarps. I don't know where I would find corrugated steel, plastic or oter better solutions. With the tarps, is it best to cover only the very top of the piles?

Usually the ice is there by now, Ice keeps the waves down. No sea ice yet this year, Gonna do lots of damage to the coastal villages.
I'm 500 miles (as the crow flies) South/East & 2 Mt ranges away, The storm won't do much here, if anything, a little snow from the tail may make it this far, but not much impact at all.
Few years back, I got 100 mph winds, lost a Green house, most of my roof shingles, canoe & some other damage.
Last year one storm hit 80 mph winds, lost a few shingles, Cleaned up the driveway good though.
We get less snow & more wind storms than years ago, something in the weather patterns has changed.

But yes, we get high winds from the North. We had one so far, blew over the end of a row of some stacked spruce splits. 70 MPH gusts. BWS said I might have it stacked to high, he was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.