Cowboy Billy has been cutting again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems more complicated than it has to be. I've recently seen a different machine for the same purpose around here. It's a large rubber tracked vehicle with a saw blade on a big arm. The operator just runs the arm up and down cutting branches off.

We could use some of that action out our way. The Beech Bark Disease is killing large trees that have branches hanging over our lines. Every time one falls it takes the line down and our power goes out. The coop won't come out to top the trees out, so our association is looking to maybe do a pulp sale on all the Beech with any size. If Billy has THAT kind of equipment, things must be good over his way!

Uper said:
so our association is looking to maybe do a pulp sale on all the Beech with any size

Not sure I could let Beech go for pulp.

[quote author="SolarAndWood" date="1287163392
Not sure I could let Beech go for pulp.[/quote]

It seems like a bit of a waste, but at this point the association would be happy to get something out of it vs. nothing but trouble. I talked with a buyer for a Weyerhauser company here and they could make rail ties out of the center, but since there is no market for the lumber (which is cut from around the center/tie), they wouldn't make enought to justify a purchase. So, pulp appears to be the most cost effective option. We have dead standing trees and that wood gets punky pretty fast, so time is not on our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.