1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

CPS (Cycles Per Hour) with Digital Thermostat and Pellet Stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Glenn Jefferson, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Glenn Jefferson

Glenn Jefferson New Member

I just installed a digital thermostat with my pellet stove, I noticed I can change the cycles per hour of the digital thermostat and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I'm thinking the setting of 5 would be good since it would me the thermostat could call for heat 5 times an hour. I don't think it would be bad for the stove since it takes nearly an hour for the stove to burn down, so even if it called for heat every 15 minutes it isn't starting from scratch again...

Thoughts?

I can do these settings?
    5 CPH
    9 CPH
    3 CPH
    1 CPH

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    What kind of stove and are you doing hi/low or auto/off? If using hi/lo I would say go for the 9cph because it's not turning off anyway, just slowing down and ramping back up wouldn't hurt anything. If using auto/off it could be running that ignitor a lot but I doubt it would turn itself off every 6 minutes so it really wouldn't hurt. More important is the swing in my opinion so it can overheat a LITTLE bit and let it come down to the right temp while it burns low. I'm sure someone will have an absolutely correct answer for you but that's my two cents. My thermostat can call for heat a million times per hour as far as I'm concerned...as long as it doesn't NOT call for heat when the wife is cold. Good luck.