CPS (Cycles Per Hour) with Digital Thermostat and Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Jefferson

Oct 25, 2012
I just installed a digital thermostat with my pellet stove, I noticed I can change the cycles per hour of the digital thermostat and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I'm thinking the setting of 5 would be good since it would me the thermostat could call for heat 5 times an hour. I don't think it would be bad for the stove since it takes nearly an hour for the stove to burn down, so even if it called for heat every 15 minutes it isn't starting from scratch again...

Thoughts?

I can do these settings?
5 CPH
9 CPH
3 CPH
1 CPH

What kind of stove and are you doing hi/low or auto/off? If using hi/lo I would say go for the 9cph because it's not turning off anyway, just slowing down and ramping back up wouldn't hurt anything. If using auto/off it could be running that ignitor a lot but I doubt it would turn itself off every 6 minutes so it really wouldn't hurt. More important is the swing in my opinion so it can overheat a LITTLE bit and let it come down to the right temp while it burns low. I'm sure someone will have an absolutely correct answer for you but that's my two cents. My thermostat can call for heat a million times per hour as far as I'm concerned...as long as it doesn't NOT call for heat when the wife is cold. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.