Crabgrass spray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
Did anyone try the green bottle spray that they say kills crabgrass?

I'm pretty sure it's called Weed-B-Gone with Crabgrass control. It's not for prevention, but to actually kill the weed. It's a new product out this year and I was always told before that once you have crabgrass, it's too late. So I am interested to see how well this stuff actually does or if it is just marketing BS.

Anyway, I tried it yesterday. It says if it doesn't work to do it again in 2 weeks. We'll see I guess!

I think that is the stuff I sprayed earlier this year. Seemed to act more like fertilizer for the crabgrass than a weed killer. Several years ago I had some pellet/powder weed killer and that did actually knock out the crabgrass, but don't remember exactly what it was.

I've noticed the same thing that the granulated killers seem to work better than the liquid ones. I have some chickweed in my yard that most weed killers won't touch but the scott's weed-n-feed knocks it dead in nothing flat.

We have quack grass here instead of crabgrass and it's a pain.

raise your blade on your mower...keep your grass at min 3 inches....it works much better than spray..and it wont kill you....when i first moved into my house it was all crab grass...now its all gone.

I agree, I keep my mower one notch down from the highest level. Pennsylvania no one irrigates their yard. We just don't do it. Then the traditional drought months of July-August the yard goes dormant and crabgrass moves in. If I irrigated my yard it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Its a post M. best if done in the one to two tiller stage. It works and most lawn care companys have been useing it for 3 years now.

smokinjay said:
"Its a post M. best if done in the one to two tiller stage." It works and most lawn care companys have been useing it for 3 years now.

Not sure what you meant in the first half of your post?

That's great that it's been around 3 years, not sure how I missed it. I had more browning over night and am up to 30-40% dying already. I would definitely buy this stuff again. I hate crabgrass!

mbcijim said:
smokinjay said:
"Its a post M. best if done in the one to two tiller stage." It works and most lawn care companys have been useing it for 3 years now.

Not sure what you meant in the first half of your post?

That's great that it's been around 3 years, not sure how I missed it. I had more browning over night and am up to 30-40% dying already. I would definitely buy this stuff again. I hate crabgrass!

Post is after its up. Easier to control the younger it is. Crabgrass gets its name from looking like a crab, there is knuckles in each stage of growth like a crab. These knuckle can open and shut so the more knuckles it has the better chance of it not taking up the herbicide. Some other defence against it is mow high aerate every fall and if you edge drive or side walks do it on the first and last mowing.

Crab vs Quack is a big question. It will work on crab but not quack grass. Look at the "knuckles". Crabgrass has fine hairs.

bjkjoseph said:
raise your blade on your mower...keep your grass at min 3 inches....it works much better than spray..and it wont kill you....when i first moved into my house it was all crab grass...now its all gone.

Everyone want their lawn to look like a golf course when it should NOT!

- keep your grass around 3 inches. It keeps the soil and roots protected, keeps the grass happy and keeps weeds from crowding the grass out.

- Weed your yard! Amazing how people do not want to do this anymore. I don't do it for more than 15 minutes at a time and boy do i get some weeding done...from early spring on...

- mulch your grass back into the lawn. Grass is around 90% water. You just don't want to leave big clumps out there and kill your grass. Either run them over again and again or rake up the clumps.

- lime and fertilize sparingly. Jonathan green has a great organic fertilizer that i apply about every 2 or 3 years. FOLLOW application instructions so the grass actually gets the stuff instead of it running off your lawn in the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.