1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Crack Firebrick a Problem?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jimmieguns, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hello Friends!

Can you please share with me if this cracked brick is a danger or burning problem-ie, excess draft,lost heat etc? Many Thanks

crackedbrick.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Unfortunately, it's likely a sign of whats behind the scenes. I would guess there are other problems behind that panel. What model do you have?
  3. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    It is a vermont casting 0044.......my chimney sweep said he didnt think its a problem--actually shrugged it off- but I respect you guys here more!

Thanks
  4. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    As long as it stays intact it should be fine
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I say a problem. Reason being fire going up under that cast piece above it instead of up the flue.
  6. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    That exactly what my chimney chap said, but i trust you guys more here! thanks...should i try to replace myself without removing unit? like just try to pull out and "shove" in there? is that even possible? i know brick stores near me must sell firebrick. Thanks
  7. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thats what I was thinking, but what harm can be done if that is so? start a house fire? lost heat? can I live with it?
  8. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    At the very least stuff the hole full of furnace cement or refractory cement. Both available at Home Depot.
    jatoxico and jimmieguns like this.
  9. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Great Idea !!! Many thanks...just use as directed or use com[​IMG]mon sense and "fill her up tight" ? thiis looks perfect
  10. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Clean the crud out from behind the brick first and shove it back in place. Burn a low kindling fire after you put the stuff in there to dry it out and set it.
    jimmieguns likes this.
  11. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Ok, so its safe to pull the cracked(right side one) out completely? then clean like you said,shove in and cement? thanks!
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Beats the hell out of burning in the thing like it is. >> Of course a brick is like three bucks at my stove store. But that looks like a long strip of refractory. A Vermont Castings specialty. Chit ya can't find anywhere.
  13. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, you aint chittin me! !!! better to go with the furnace cement like you said , I think.
  14. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    just found some related ino-which i suspected!

Damaged or missing firebricks inside the stove will allow the stove to cool excessively. You need to have a hot firebox in order to achieve complete combustion. Replace missing or damaged firebricks.

Replace damaged or missing firebricks. The firebricks insulate the firebox, which needs to be maintained at a high temperature in order to fully-combust the fuel. If the firebox is less than adequately insulated, the combustion temperaure decreases leading to an increase in smoke, and lower efficiency.
  15. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Good morning BrotherBart-- gonna fiv my broken firebrick today if I get the chance-question, you said to burn a low grade kindling fire afterward--- how low is low please? and for how long should do you think I should let it burn? I usually start my fire out with wads of newspaper and kindling. This gets a fierce initial flame inside the insert. Is that TOO much for the curing i am trying to accomplish?

THANKS!

J
  16. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Temperature is more important than amount of flame. Just burn some kindling for thirty minutes or so and that should cook the moisture out of the furnace cement fine.
  17. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    OK, THANKS BUT CAN i GO AHEAD RIGHT INTO A REGULAR FIRE RIGHT AFTERWARD? iT'S COLD HERE oops caps sorry--its cold here and wanted to run the insert most of the day -but also wanted to address the problem...whats best to do? thanks!
  18. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yep. Let'er rip.
  19. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks- I thought i may have to wait 24 hours for a regular fire or something--I do not have to wait?
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Give it a half hour of low heat and then burn like ya always do. You do the low burn to dry it so that you don't have to wait twenty four hours.
  21. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    ok Thanks-- another question please-- i am replacing the door gaskets and i think they call for 5/16 but i can only find 3/8 inch in my area. its a TIGHT TIGHT squeeze but i think i could get it in.. IS that safe to try or best to wait and keep looking for the 5/16 THANKS!
  22. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Get the 5/16". Force the doors and you are gonna break something.
  23. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hello My Brother Bart.....many many thanks for all your wisdom ,support and advice---you are SPOT-ON! on all your rec's....sealed my cracked firebrick, ordered th correct gaskets and have gotten bettter overall temps,,,,,,,,much less "leakage thru broken bricks" and better temps,,,,,,,,, I am just trying to be realistic and figure if my old VC 0044 can REALLY heat a 2000 sq ft home with poor insulation and vaulted ceilings-----maybe I am asking for too much-huh? it takes about 2-3 hours to get to 500-600 degrees internal box temp(thru glass).. ANY IDEAS? Please!
  24. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It would be very, very, hard for this unit to heat that house without some help from another heat source.
  25. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    That's what i was thinking ...why do you say that? Just curious....it's age or because its an insert ?