Crack in Burn Pot Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjamman

Sep 26, 2013
Central MA
May be a simple question, but would a slight crack in the burn pot liner make the whole burn messy? Enviro EF4 insert model.

There is a small crack in the burn pot liner (front face towards the igniter), and the liner is beginning to warp a little (tough to pull out of the burn pot casing). My flame has a slight twirl to it and I always assumed it was from air coming down the auger drop chute. I have been battling an issue since day one with this thing, there is always TOO much air flowing through the stove. It tends to spit out the freshly burning pellets and is always throwing up large pellet ember chunks, not just the fly ash. My damper is completely closed at the moment for diagnosis but that slide damper is a useless feature it seems. My door gasket passes the dollar bill test and there is no ash pan in these units.

The glass gets completely covered in ash with a dark brown/blackish tint to it after roughly 8 hours of burning - can't even really see through it. My ash in the bottom of the burn chamber is dark grey/almost black. The pellets never get a chance to thoroughly cook before being ejected and turn to the desirable fluffy grey ash. If I open the stove door during while it is operating, there are 1/4-1/2" pellet embers in the ash smoldering away. Those suckers were kicked out from the air passing through (most likely?)

Any input would be appreciated. May just order a new burn pot liner to see if it helps with my problem, but getting tired of buying new parts and still facing the same issues.

the burn pot could cause problems for sure but it also sounds like your air need to be adjusted

Well learned something new today - the Enviro EF4 DOES have an air wash system. I opened the door and it looked like cement was plastered all around the channel on the top and bottom of the glass. I started scraping it away and it was coming off in flakes and still reminded me of concrete. Anyways, I scraped it all off (which took around an hour), and really cleaned out all the junk in the channels, and viola - no more crap sticking to the glass! Oh glory days....

Not sure if you solved your Burn Pot Liner problem or not.

If it is like my old EF-2 The front and rear walls of the liner need to be flat (not warped)
The combustion air enters the Born Pot and then passes up through the holes in the liner.
If the liner is not sealing against the Burn Pot then you are losing combustion air around the fuel.

Depending on how it is cracked it shouldn't affect things as long as the front and back are flat.
Unless there is actual chunks missing.

I bought a replacement liner for my EF-2 years ago.

Then hammered the original back into shape.
Ended up using the original and kept the replacement as a spare

---Nailer----

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
My berm pot liner has a crack starting from the igniter hole and runs about 2" laterally to one of the air holes (along the face closest to the fire wall). The liner is starting to warp and gets hard to pull out of the burn pot chamber after a few burns. The thing is beat to crap and is definitely in need of a replacement - already ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.