Crack in firebrick in back of one season BIS Tradition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldm09

Mar 16, 2009
Northwoods, WI
This is the first season using my BIS Tradition and today I noticed there is a vertical crack in the firebrick in the back of the unit. Should I be concerned? Thanks! Dean

probably from slamming logs in. i've cracked a few of mine. i don't think its a big deal but lets wait to hear from the experts to weigh in.

Can you stick a quarter in it? Is there any chunks missing?

Does that BIS unit have solid refractory panels or bricks in it?

JTP - no, its more of a hairline crack. I can't stick a quarter in it. The BIS unit has the solid refractory panels in it that are formed like bricks. The back wall is one large panel and it has two cracks in it, along the brick lines. I might have to take a picture of the cracks once the fireplace cools down.

I would not worry about it. If chunks start falling out then it could be a problem.

I agree, no problem, remember stove with regular firebrick liners have lots of cracks (seams) between every brick.

Ernie

As long as your crack is just a hairline, then no big deal. But if the panel starts to crumble around the crack, you might want to try a furnace cement patch. After the second year with my Ultima the refractory panels had started to deteriorate significantly, with the rear panel cracked through and held together mainly by the metal bits in the cast. I took all the panels out, washed them down, and slathered on a nice coat of furnace/refractory cement. Seems to have held up great this year. That's good stuff.

My new BIS Nova has a couple cracks in the back refractory also. Sounds like in the same spot...in the fake gap between the fake bricks. In my case, at the bottom where the back meets the bottom.

I emailed a picture to the factory and they didn't think it was a problem.

I like the quarter width criteria. Seems about the size crack where one should be concerned....

I have cracks on the bottom of my BIS Ultra, they were there all of last winter, and will still be there this winter. Does not seem to affect performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.