Q&A Crack in Fireplace Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Craig- I have a fireplace about 30 yrs old. It has a crack along the back firewall. Do I have to remove those plates and replace them- or can I use some kind of patching material. If I can use a patching material- what would you recommend. One last question: where can I find the name of the manufacturer on the fireplace? Thx for you help and time.

Answer:

Scott- I assume you are talking about a factory built "pre-fab" fireplace- otherwise known as zero clearance. Many times these are lined with plates of refractory clay- which can develop cracks over time. You do not need to replace the piece until it actually falls apart. There is a full metal wall behind that brick...so the panel is just a protector.You can purchase refractory cement or buff colored fireplace mortar in most stove shop or hardware stoves. Clean out the crack- wet it- and patch.<p>
Replacement panels can also be installed by many chimney sweeps. These panels are cut-to-size by the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.