Crack in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firenutz

Sep 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
Hello, I recently cleaned out my chimney and flue of my fireplace and discovered a crack in the back wall of the fireplace. I'm not exactly sure what it's actual name is but I can describe it. I'm pretty sure the fireplace came as standard equipment on my double wide mobile home. The part that is cracked is the back wall of the fireplace and it looks like a fake brick wall pattern. The sides which angle towards the back seem to be fake brick panels which could be removable and separate from the back. Can I just bring this back panel to a stove dealer or some place to be replaced? Being a firefighter I'm not cool with having cracks in any part of a fireplace, especially in a mobile home.

I'm no expert, by any means, but I would have to imagine that what you've got is a pre-fab ZC metal fireplace and that the fake brick you're looking at is just that...fake brick, for some insulating value and for appearance. If that's the case, and the fireplace itself is intact behind what you're looking at, then I'd think you could simply fill the crack with furnace cement, unless that would ruin the appearance for you. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.