Crack in gas insert fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jabberwocky58

Jan 7, 2006
My daughter's gas insert has a 1.5" crack in it on the front of the metal frame around the air tight portion.

The fellow cleaning the fireplaces for her condo found the crack and turned the gas off.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can it be repaired?

2. If it can be repaired does it have to re-certified before the gas can be turned on again? The cleaner told her the insert would have to be removed to be recertified.

Picture of the crack is included.

Thanks

Attachments

• insert_crack.jpg
    insert_crack.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 349
You could probably weld it and fix it. As far a recertifiing the only thing that I can think of is he is assuming by welding the crack your modyfying manufacturers original design and that it would have to be re listed? Which makes no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe it just needs to be re inspected but I don't see why that would require removal of the unit. Unless they make someone go over the entire unit with a fine tooth comb to ensure there are no more cracks. Though Canadian codes can be a little more on the strict side. Maybe a Canadian chimney sweep and or stove installer can enlighten us.

how old is the stove? Is the company still in business? I ask because that looks to be a flaw in the design (looks like a stress fracture) and could be covered under the warranty against manufacturer defects (ie: lifetime warranty due to failers from defects in the manufacturing process).

Just a thought.

It's a Superior and I would guess it's about 11-13 years old. Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call and see what they say. Has anyone dealt with Superior and/or their warranties before?

jabberwocky58 said:
My daughter's gas insert has a 1.5" crack in it on the front of the metal frame around the air tight portion.

The fellow cleaning the fireplaces for her condo found the crack and turned the gas off.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can it be repaired?

2. If it can be repaired does it have to re-certified before the gas can be turned on again? The cleaner told her the insert would have to be removed to be recertified.

Picture of the crack is included.

Thanks

CONDO?
Better check with the owners group first.
I do not live in an apartment but if I did I would not want tenants making choices that involve life safety.
Please call the local fire inspectors office and DO WHAT HE SAYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.