Q&A Crack in older Buck woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently bought a house with an older Buck woodstove, probably around 15 years old, 2 doors, blower in the rear. I have two questions about it:
1. The stove has a narrow, 4 inch crack on top, radiating out from the corner of the stovepipe. If I look from inside, I can only see light through 1/2 inch of the crack.

How serious of a problem is this? Should I be looking at a replacement stove?

2. The gasket was missing, so I tried to replacing it. Now the doors won't close without leaning all my body weight against them. The right door seems fine, the problem is with the left door. Any suggestions? Haven't lit a fire since putting in the gasket - will the heat shrink the gasket and make things fit better?

Answer:

1. It is a possible problem if it extends from the firebox into the air chamber around the stove. This could cause a smoke leak. A good welder should be able to fix it. Most Buck inserts are closer to 20+ years old, and eventual replacement would not be such a bad idea.

2.Bucks used a metal to metal seal with no gasket at one time. If you are going to use a gasket, use a flat tape one which is glued in the channel. This should not take up as much room as the other types.

Status
Not open for further replies.