Crack On Back Top Corner Plate Of My Jotul 118 Should I Be Concerned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotul118

Dec 4, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Hello all!

Happy New Year!

I recently noticed a small fracture on the plate that sits under the flue area of my Jotul 118.

Should I be concerned about this?

Cheers!

Attachments

• 118crack.jpeg
    118crack.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 209
  • jotul118crack2.jpeg
    jotul118crack2.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 194
I would be that is a pretty big crack post some more pics of it from other angles if you can

I would be that is a pretty big crack post some more pics of it from other angles if you can
The two photos shown pretty much sum it up angle wise. The crack only goes from the back corner of the plate shown and down to where the plate meet the main stove box. There are separate stove boxes both above and below the crack, so it is limited to that plate portion area.

The two photos shown pretty much sum it up angle wise. The crack only goes from the back corner of the plate shown and down to where the plate meet the main stove box. There are separate stove boxes both above and below the crack, so it is limited to that plate portion area.
So the cracked part is not part of the combustion chamber or venting system? If it is not then no i would not worry

So the cracked part is not part of the combustion chamber or venting system? If it is not then no i would not worry[/QUO

That is affirmative! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

It looks to be a crack in the corner of the top plate for the main stove body. Is that correct? The upper section is just a smoke chamber for heat scavenging.

Yes, the crack is located on the back corner of the main stove body top plate. I have it going today and the crack has widened a little bit, but it is just isolated to that area. Are these kind of cracks common in older cast stoves?

On a day like today, it is quite nice to have it going. The cats especially like when it's in use.

On another note, if I want the fire to die down going into the evening and while I sleep, what it the best way to shut it down without getting smoked out, burning cool enough to set-off CO, or just plain ole leaving open an entryway for cold air coming into the dwelling?

I know with the newer stoves you can pretty much just damper it down and walk away. I generally have the damper fully open and the air inlet just slightly open.

Thanks for all your respective sage advice!

On another note, if I want the fire to die down going into the evening and while I sleep, what it the best way to shut it down without getting smoked out, burning cool enough to set-off CO, or just plain ole leaving open an entryway for cold air coming into the dwelling?
Well if it is smoking and setting off the co alarm you need to stop using it now and have the system checked by a pro. Neither of those things should ever happen with a properly installed stove and chimney

I haven't had an issue with it smoking other than what one would expect when priming the flue from a cold start. I was just curious what the best way to shut it down would be?

Thanks

I was just curious what the best way to shut it down would be?
Just let it burn out. You did mention it setting off the co alarm though.

Just let it burn out. You did mention it setting off the co alarm though.
Yes, I realize that! Sorry about that! Just shut both damper and front vent and let it burn out then?

Thanks so much!

Just shut both damper and front vent and let it burn out then?
Just let it burn out if you don't normally run the damper shut dont shut it to let it go out. And honestly i don't know your stove but most old stoves if you shut the air completely you will choke the fire and have a smoky gooey mess just let it burn out with everything set like it normally would be when you are burning

Will do and thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.