crack or cracked weld in exit collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I look into the blower exit vent for my Hampton HI300 insert, I can see the exit collar to the flue. There's a nice thin, but long crack in there- when the draft is open I can see flame. My worry is that since the blower exits through here, dust or anything brought in with firewood is going to be blowing right through and could turn into an air borne ember.

Do you think stove cement would fix it, or do I need to drag it out and fill with weld? That would stink- just the amount of work to pull that SOB out of there, out to my welder in the shed, and drag it back.

Thanks

If you can see flames in there, your baffles may be incorrectly positioned on the secondary tubes.
There's no way the flames can get to the flue exit if the baffles are pushed all the way to the rear
& as far to each side as possible...
Drill THRU each end of the crack with a bit slightly larger than the width of the crack - to stop the propagation -
and liberally goob (technical term) furnace cement in there for a temporary fix.
If you can get an extended flex to rigid adapter that will reach farther down into the top - PAST the crack -
that may ease your fears...
Either way, I'd contact Regency for their technical input.
They may say to shut er down & get it welded prior to this winter...

Have some one that can gas weld do it in place, I used to work with a guy who welded in the service and he could gas weld (torch) 4 inch sch 80 pipe and it looked pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.