Cracked and crumbling mortar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2015
New Jersey
Good afternoon.

A few weeks I ago I had installed a Stoll fireplace door in my fireplace. Due to the structure of the hearth, the doors were installed on the inside, and mortared to frame of the hearth itself. Much to my extreme annoyance, the mortar is already crumbling and cracking and the door is beginning to loosen a bit from the fireplace.

I've reached out to the installer, but was wondering what could cause this so soon.

Attachments

• 20161204_184812644_iOS.jpg
    20161204_184812644_iOS.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 20161121_160055999_iOS.jpg
    20161121_160055999_iOS.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 289
  • 20161204_184836513_iOS.jpg
    20161204_184836513_iOS.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 250
That looks pretty minor, just be cool and I'm sure the installer will fix it.

It happens on occasion, the expansion and contraction rate of the door is different than the stone, So the bond is broken. How long did you wait to build a fire after the door was installed?

It looks like the door got bumped or moved. Any movement before that mortar is good and hard would cause that. It don't take much.

That looks pretty minor, just be cool and I'm sure the installer will fix it.

It happens on occasion, the expansion and contraction rate of the door is different than the stone, So the bond is broken. How long did you wait to build a fire after the door was installed?

It was installed in the morning and the installer said it was fine to build a fire that night. He just said to be gentle with the doors, which I was. The cracks only appeared in the last week or so. Was installed on Nov. 21.

My stone guy said not to use the fireplace for 7 days after he's done. He said the mortar dries too quick causing cracks and gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
It was installed in the morning and the installer said it was fine to build a fire that night. He just said to be gentle with the doors, which I was. The cracks only appeared in the last week or so. Was installed on Nov. 21.
Ya, we usually tell people to wait 48 hours at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.