Cracked Back-Plate on Mt. Vernon Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2008
Maryland
Well I was doing my routine clean this evening and noticed that the back-plate is cracked in 2 different areas. I think now I have had every misfortune possible with this stove. What's next? Love the heat but hate the problems!

Have you checked with your dealer to see about a warranty replacement?

I'm on my 3rd back plate. Seems that the thin casting of the herringbone design can't handle the heat. If you bought it new the cast iron has a lifetime replacement. It is fairly common break from what my dealer said.

I think you have an AE unit Joe, correct? Talk to the dealer that should be covered under warranty. At least its a part that's easy to replace.

I have a call into my dealer and I certainly think it is covered, I have only had the stove since 12/31/07. It just seems that everything I was told could go wrong with this stove has gone wrong. I thought the newer models were suppose to have addressed all these issues.
Here is what has transpired just since 12/31:

Replaced the power supply
Replaced the Control Board
Replaced the Wall Control
Replaced the Convection Blower
About to replace the back-plate

I must say that my dealer and Quad have been fantastic but why all these issues.

Funny thing is it is a great stove (when there are no problems), I just hope this is the last of the issues.

where is it cracked?

Where the (3) openings are up top. The first crack is to the very left and is horizontal about 2" down from the locking mechanism. It runs straight across from the edge of the plate to the opening. It is a total separation in the casting. The second crack is in the next rib over and that is also a complete separation. Good thing the right side hasn't cracked yet or I would have a (2) pc. back plate.

Joe s,
I feel your pain. I am on my second Mt Vernon since 12/22/07 - multiple problems that can not be corrected. The dealer was less than supportive in the beginning, but was motivated when we suggested calling our CC company. After that, they realized that we were not exagerrating as they have spent many days at my house, often leaving with perplexed looks on their faces. It is a great stove when it works, but it is not consistent in its run cycle. Too many hours spent in start up mode, and the low hooper icon hasb een on constantly from the get go for both stoves. Hard to imagine, but true. Anyway, at this point, we are considering moving over to 2 catilles since we have a 4200 square foot home to heat, and we really like the looks of the castille.

Well the dealer is getting me a new baffle plate. If it wasn't for the great service I have gotten from my dealer I don't know where I would be right now. I do feel for the people that have problems with these stoves that have dealers who are clueless about them, it must be frustrating. Actually, we are going to go ahead and change out the baffle plate, check to see if it has the holes drilled for the igniter housing and then run the heck out of the thing for the remainder of the winter and see just where we are with this thing.
I guess if necessary we could change out the stove but at this rate it is going to be new anyway considering how many parts have been changed out. Like I said, when it is running it is a great stove.

Sorry to hear of your pain with your Mt. Vernon. You've definetly been down a tough road with all those problems. Glad to hear the dealer perked up with the CC bit. I bought a Quad 1200i in December 2007. The stove has worked flawlessly to date. My only gripe is that you must periodically push the pellets down the hopper or it will quit feeding.

I hope it works out for you and your unit!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.