Cracked Brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
I am wondering if I have a situation on my hands. A few days ago when I was taking the ash out of my insert, I noticed that there are a couple of hairline cracks in the masonry brick directly above the insert. The fireplace is very old, so I can't be for certain if they where there before I installed the insert last year or not. I guess my question is, is this a concern, or just something that I should monitor.

Thanks

Cracks in bricks are not something to be concerned with, unless you have pieces falling out and large gaps. Each brick in the back of my stove is cracked into several pieces from wood banging into them when loading, but they stay in place and do a fine job, providing the required insulation.

Just to claify, it is not the fire brick that have cracked; it is the masonary brick in the facing of the fireplace.

A picture would clarify things a great deal.

I would monitor it closely. Maybe put a little mark where the crack starts and ends. This is because you dont remember if it was there or not prior to the installation. If that crack is growing, I'd call in an expert asap

I have only been burning for one month and I have the same concern. The regular brick on the face of the fireplace is cracked at the mortar joint between the fire brick and the normal brick all the way around the stove. Pictures of before and after confirm it is after the insert. Does anyone else have any problem with insert heat cracking normal brick (or the mortar joints) on the fireplace. Should I put a heat blanket around the stove like the Kaowool discussed in another thread? Thanks.

Like mentioned I would keep an eye on it. Hopefully the mason used wall ties. I've done small repairs for customers by scratching the crack with a nail and filling with a bonding mix the boss used to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.