Cracked cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
In the process of putting my stove pipe back on after cleaning, I noticed that the cement around the tee coming out of my brick chimney is cracked and beginning to fall out. Is this any special kind of cement or is it ordinary cement or mortor?

Its a special refractory cement (mortar) that you use to set clay tiles in a brick chimney. It comes in a small pail and just mixes with water. Make sure you get the dry mix stuff . Get it at your local brick , morter suppy yard. If you use regular mortar the portland cement in it will disintegrate over time due to the heat. That is what they probably used the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.