Cracked Fire Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffM

Oct 6, 2013
Hi all... New to this forum.

So conventional wisdom involving a "wood" burning device would make me think this seems to be an issue but since I have absolutely NO experience with a pellet stove thought perhaps I could get some opinions/suggestions...

The house I'm renting has a Castle pellet stove that has a crack in the fire wall that in my thoughts would render it unusable. I think the pictures speak for themselves but can this stove be used with the crack seen in the images?

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback.
Jeff

Attachments

• 2013-10-06 19.14.12.jpg
    2013-10-06 19.14.12.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 2013-10-06 19.16.28.jpg
    2013-10-06 19.16.28.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 2013-10-06 19.16.46.jpg
    2013-10-06 19.16.46.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 307
Might be able to seal it with some Rutland stove caulk.

at first i thought you meant castille. but i found the castle site
http://www.castlestoves.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=HPS09

they do have downloadable manuals there. and one model looked similar to yours. but newer.

i have no direct experience with this stove.
that appears to be an older model. but even just looking at the pictures on their site, the brick looks similar.

my guess is the brick is inserted into the metal fire box and can be replaced. (repaired?)

it may even be ok as is.

but i don't know that for sure.

again a guess, but that doesn't seem like a fatal problem for that stove.
it certainly should be fully cleaned (flue as well) and gone over for leaky gaskets etc...

the installation, vent pipe quality and joints, clearances, floor pad, how the thimble goes through the wall... all that needs to be in order.

don't just assume everything is in order for safe use with just the crack issue resolved.
the people here can definitely help pretty much step by step on what needs to be done.

just noticed you are renting. doesn't change safety concerns . and just checking and learning what is right and how it needs to be is free here.
with patience and a little time put in. and help from good people.

Last edited:
i'm not familiar with rental laws, but it seems to me like the landlord should provide a CO detector if the property has a solid fuel burning appliance.

The the part of the stove that you showed with the crack in it is just the fake "firebrick" back panel....if the steel wall behind it is solid and not damaged, you should be fine to use it. Some furnace cement could be used to try and repair it.

www.lowes.com/pd_316174-76554-B13287_

Last edited by a moderator:
You dont own the stove or the house, so I wouldnt do anything, contact the owner first

Status
Not open for further replies.