Cracked Firebox Liners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjs

Mar 3, 2008
US
Good Morning,

We have a, Jotul 602N (it says 602 CB on the manual), that we purchased new at the end of 1999. It has been used in our small cabin, 6 months a year, 12 hours a day since then. So 8 full seasons.

We just noticed the other day, the panels on the inside, sides of it are both bowed and cracked vertically in the middle. It must have happened at some point this winter. I'm not even sure what they're called. I've checked my book and the net but not found a diagram labeling them.

Could someone tell me if this is just due to age and use or anything we did? And what they are called...firebox liners?

We bought it locally, full price, at a dealer.

My thanks....jennifer

It is possible that the stove was overfired at some point or perhaps just overstuffed with wood. When the stove is overstuffed, it can push the baffle up which puts excessive heat at the rear of the stove. You'll also want to check the exterior back of the stove for discoloration and cracking.

Regardless of what happened, these parts need to be fixed. The stove will burn a lot better when they are replaced.

The upper plate is called the baffle, the side plates are called liners. You can find replacement parts at:
http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merch...n=CTGY&Store_Code=SPP&Category_Code=JOT-602NC

Be sure to confirm it's a 602N (classic) and not a 602CB which has the secondary combustion manifold.

It's definately a 602N. It says so right on the front.
And the brand new manual that came with it in Sept. 1999 definately says 602CB!
My husband asked about the difference and was told by the dealer that N denoted 'color'.
Why would we have gotten a 602 CB manual?
I have no idea what a secondary combustion manifold is, so I guess I don't have one.
Thanks again....jennifer

Thank you for your help.

I had found that thread but didn't think they ever came to any conclusion.

Much less, my problem, of the liner plates bowing and cracking!

I really don't think in 8 seasons such a nice stove should do that.

It's just the two of us stoking it and we've stoked a stove for 50 years:)

Thanks anyway.....jennifer

I printed your info and we mulled it over and decided we over fired it.
I blame it on him, he blames it on me:) We have no listing in our rural area for stove repair.
My blue collar husband who can and does everything 'well' is afraid he can't repair this.
If I order the pair of liners (70.00) what would his installing them entail? He's afraid he'll run into something he doesn't have (it's our only heat). Thanks, jen

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem would be needing to replace a few bolts and nuts after he takes it apart. After that much burning they probably will break off when he takes the stove apart. Just use all stainless steel nuts and bolts putting it back together. And he will need to wire brush all of the furnace cement out of the panels and put it together with new furnace cement that is available at the hardware store in caulk like tubes. In the final analysis it is just a cast iron box that is bolted and cemented together.

jjjs said:
...I blame it on him, he blames it on me:)

Enough of that! Get yourselves a nice bottle of wine or something, enjoy the 4th of July and blame the stove problem on me. Or BrotherBart, or even Jags, for that matter. Really, I'll take full responsibility. I don't mind at all. I'll have my attorney draw up all the necessary papers and forward them to you straightaway (of course, I'm going to have her absolve me of any sort of financial obligation). :) Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.