Cracked Flue Tiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srbenda

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2009
PA Horse Country
I had a chimney cleaning today, and the guy that came out said I had several cracked flue tiles in the 70+ year old chimney I have.
Otherwise, he said it was in good shape.

Of course, his suggestion was to reline the chimney AND buy a new insert, and he just happened to have a catalogue with him AND a price for the job.

I sent him on his way, but should I be very worried about cracked flue tiles? He said they were in the smoke chamber just above the damper.

I am running a old insert (25+ years) with good hardwoods.

i'd check it yourself and if they are cracked you probably should install a liner

I just bought a house a few months ago and had the chimney inspected. I have a couple cracked tiles (just cracked, not crumbling or falling apart) and the inspector told me they were not a problem. I told him I had been wondering if I'd have to repair it or line it with stainless. He said it wasn't necessary and to hook my stove up and enjoy.

All that said, I'm not a chimney expert and I don't know what your chimney looks like. Also, my house is 45 years old, not 70.

Assuming the person who looked at your flue has given you correct information, I have two points:

1, Yes, worry about cracked tiles. They only get worse and they can open up like a clamshell when they heat up. Also code (NFPA and IRC) don't allow the use of a flue with cracked or damaged tiles.

2, Home inspectors are not chimney inspectors. I've found gaps big enough to stick fingers through in chimneys home inspectors have given the green light.

Hope this helps!

If you were me . . . I would definitely want to have this fixed or put in an insulating liner . . . it's a small cost when compared to the cost of losing a home and as Comon mentioned this can get worse with time.

However, you've already got one quote . . . it certainly doesn't hurt to get a few other quotes for comparison.

I'd line something with a cracked tile. If I was running an insert, I would have it lined anyhow. What was he charging you in his quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.