Cracked Glass on Englander 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyssophobe

Jan 22, 2016
Kentucky
Last night while loading the stove for the night, the piece of wood that looked like it fit well enough wound up being about 1/8" too long at exactly the wrong spot. (See image below.)

fb2F0wu.jpg

Acknowledgment of likely stupid question in advance: is it dangerous to use the stove until the replacement glass drives? I can feel slight displacement of a few of the pieces, but none of the glass seems to be loose. Replacement should arrive mid-week & I have space heaters, but we live in a fairly remote area that got slammed with snow last night and today. And we have a forecast low of 12 degrees tomorrow night.

This is sort of a hail mary question, as I've already planned to go purchase an additional infrared heater tomorrow. Just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks in advance.

Bummer, bad timing with the nasty weather. Yes, it could be dangerous. If a section falls out while the furnace is not being directly watched too much air will be fed and an overfire could occur. If you have a stiff piece of sheet metal that could be cut and fit in there temporarily that would be better.

On another note, welcome to Hearth.com.

Thank you, begreen. That was pretty much my thinking on it. We're effectively snowed in & I can keep a steady eye on it (even a camera when I'm not in the room), so I've run it at a low temperature (~200F) this evening just to supplement what the space heaters are putting out, but there's no way I'd leave it burning unattended or while sleeping.

The other stabbing irony is that I work for a scoreboard company & we build all of our products from steel, so I could have gotten them to cut me a piece that would have fit in there. But the plant is closed due to the weather.

I did order the replacement from Englander today, but they're in the midst of a blizzard, so hopefully I'll get it by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

Thanks again!

For anyone else who experiences the same problem, I have had great luck with onedayglass.com. Far less expensive than OEM and ships next day. Just give them the dimensions and thickness and they do the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.