cracked glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I still use my pellet stove if I have a small crack in top right hand corner of door front?
What kind of stove? Is it leaking smoke? Do you have CO detectors? The short answer is yes as long as it is not leaking bad things into the room. But only as a temporary measure. It should be replaced.

Of course you can. But that doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: mralias
Most modern pellet stoves are negative pressure combustion chamber so fear of smoke etc into home should be negligible. Biggest fear is the possible expansion or total failure and letting the dragon out of the box and burning the home down or the smoke damage. Unattended firing absolutely not.

Reactions: P38X2
If is is broke, fix it. Risks are not worth it. A cracked windshield is one thing, but the glass on the stove door? The risk is catastrophic failure and a house fire.

Not worth the risk, just not worth it.

What caused the crack? I'd run it. I'd watch it for awhile and see what happens.

Use it if you're in a pinch, but I would babysit it and get it fixed ASAP.

How did it happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.