Cracked Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Strand III

Nov 20, 2005
NW MI near nowhere
Occasionally dropping heavier wood splits on a few 12" sq ceramic tiles near my firebox has left me with some unsightly scars I wish to repair short of replacing the tiles (no longer available).

Any concoctions out there for a home remedy? The damaged tiles are darker grey, have cracks and small craters in the cracks. I'm looking for a mix-it-yourself epoxy, or other, that is durable and easy to color match.

Aye, Marty

Love heals a broken hearth Marty. :) I would clean out the cracks well, but save the debris. Grind up the fragments and add them to a good grey epoxy mix. Tint the mix with carbon black (clean soot will work) and neatly blend it into the cracks.

I'd mix up a similar colored grout and fill with said grout.

What does Grandma recommend?

Oatmeal.

BrotherBart said:
What does Grandma recommend?
Everybody knows that one Chicken soup. :cheese: sorry I had to do it.

Grandma used to say, "One man's problem is a chance for another man's solution."

I'll say 'the questions are always easier than the answers'.
So, thanks for your input.

Aye,
Marty

PS: Grandpa, an old Navy man,
used to say,

"The sea is a lousy teacher.
First you get the test and,
later, you learn the lesson."

This could apply to careless fire builders...

Status
Not open for further replies.