cracked olympic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boozer

Aug 12, 2011
vermont
Hi All,
New to this forum! I am looking at buying a used Avalon olympic.It is a 2002.It looks be be in ok condition.
My biggest concern is that it has two cracks on the metal at the back top of the fire box.

Can this piece be repaired or replaced? I have a friend who is a very skilled professional welder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

BTW I can buy it for 500.00

Pictures will help a whole bunch here...seeing just exactly where these cracks are, and their severity, might yield some educated guesses as to how the cracks got there (could have implications about the overall condition of the stove and its history) and the prospects for a successful repair. We need to see it in order to advise. Rick

OBTW: Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forum. Rick is right about needing pictures but beware. It sounds like the stove was probably over-fired and with cracks that perhaps means lots of warping. With that, I would really hesitate parting with $500.00. Good luck.

Me personally, I would NOT iinvest 5 bills on a cracked stove. As BS said, it could very well be warped and completely garbage. For about a grand you can buy brand new and at least know what you are buying.

Shawn

I spent only 150 more and all i had to do was paint and gaskets, steel stove id look elsewhere

My cracked stove is sitting out back for evening fires and the occasional burning of trash cardboard.

Don't do it.

Thanks guys!
I will post some pics soon.the cracks are inside the firebox,not on the outside steel.they are just above the fire bricks in the back.2 small inch long vertical cracks about 4 inches apart.

New price 300.00

Thanks!
John

Thanks guys!
I guess I really need pics here.
The cracks are on the internal structure of the stove.what looks like a replaceable internal structure piece? The actual outside box look good.

Thanks again!
John

Is that a plate steel stove? Plate steel is easy to weld. Cast iron, not so much.

There are a couple of internal structures on most stoves that are welded in place when steel stoves are assembled but just cemented in place, or even bolted in place on non-steel stoves. For example, I have removed the entire secondary air system from inside of my hearthstone. I could have easily replaced the manifold with new.

If the cracks are in the same sheet of steel that makes up the sealed firebox then I would walk away.

If they are on an inner piece, then I would consider the cost of having a welder shove his mig gun in there and lay a bead of weld over the crack. Or just burn it as is and see if the cracks cause issues.

Thanks!
I checked in w/ the local dealer and showed him where the cracks were and he said they were not a big issue.

Thanks for all the feedback!!
John

Are the cracks on the secondary rack? Can you post a picture of them?

Dealers have been known to minimize a problem. Some outright lie. Some don't know what they're talking about.

I'm assuming since it's a Travis stove it's similar to my Endeavor on the inside. It sounds like you're describing the secondary air system to me. I'd say that's pretty fixable as long as the metal left is good enough to take a weld. Snap some pictures and we'll know for sure.

It sounds like the same cracks I had an olympic. The cracks were around the secondary air tubes. I took the fire bricks out, cleaned real good and welded the cracks. I also had to replace the angle iron support for the over head fire bricks. For a couple of hours of work I got a $2300 wood stove for $360, replacement parts and paint included.
I'd jump all over that.

Thanks,
I had my welder do an evaluation today.
I bought the stove for 250 bucks.
I replace the over head support irons and the cracked bricks.
All in all I'm feeling pretty good about it.
The chimney sweep that I respect also gave it a thumbs up!
Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.