Cracked Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samoyed

Aug 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The top of my Oslo cracked Friday evening. The Oslo had been cruising at around 500 degrees when we heard a metallic pop. A closer look showed a crack on top of the stove. The stove is less than a year old. I contacted the dealer and the top will be replaced, so no worries there. I am still wondering what may have caused a newish stove to crack like this. Thoughts?

I would guess either overfire or manufacturer deffect.

Shawn

Samoyed said:
The top of my Oslo cracked Friday evening. The Oslo had been cruising at around 500 degrees when we heard a metallic pop. A closer look showed a crack on top of the stove. The stove is less than a year old. I contacted the dealer and the top will be replaced, so no worries there. I am still wondering what may have caused a newish stove to crack like this. Thoughts?

Being an Oslo owner I am very surprized at this! Can you share a photo?

Love my Oslo! :)

I would be curious to here a little about how you burn the stove. I have seen 2 cracked tops over the years and one was a kettle that over flowed on the top causing the crack. The other one the owner dropped a lead weight of his mantle on it. So to say its rare is an understatement.

Could of been a bad caste. 500 should not of cracked it.

Samoyed; first we welcome you; keep us informed and yes pictures; we try to help each other with issues so good luck and keep us informed.

I think this is the first report of a cracked lid on a new Jotul here. Sounds like a defective casting. Good to hear that the dealer responded quickly.

Thanks for the replies.

I will post a picture as soon as I can ...

On the question of how we burn:

We basically learned how to burn from this site. We usually let the temperature rise to somewhere around 550 then turn down the air and let the stove cruise until the next reload. Our wood is good (thanks to this forum). We are not doing anything "special". Chimney works well. We did not drop anything on it.

We love our stove. We find that it provides lots of heat, is easy to use and importantly for my wife, it is "pretty". We have the blue/black finish.

Cheers,

Samoyed said:
Thanks for the replies.

We basically learned how to burn from this site. We usually let the temperature rise to somewhere around 550 then turn down the air and let the stove cruise until the next reload. Our wood is good (thanks to this forum). We are not doing anything "special". Chimney works well. We did not drop anything on it.

We love our stove. We find that it provides lots of heat, is easy to use and importantly for my wife, it is "pretty". We have the blue/black finish.

Cheers,

Forgot to mention: Welcome to hearth.com and the "BBO Club" (blue/black Oslo Club)! :)

A picture would be nice, it may be that there was some stress built up that relieved itself out from a corner or something..

and yes welcome to the hearth, but don't get to bound up about the "BBO Club", everyone knows the "stoner association" is better.

Dakotas Dad said:
A picture would be nice, it may be that there was some stress built up that relieved itself out from a corner or something..

and yes welcome to the hearth, but don't get to bound up about the "BBO Club", everyone knows the "stoner association" is better.

Ah, but 'stoners' are 'stoners'. "BBO" membership is unique. Not all Oslo owners qualify as members of the "BBO Club" - just ask FFJake about that! :) (Stated in jest, or course!) :)

Shari said:
Samoyed said:
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,

Forgot to mention: Welcome to hearth.com and the "BBO Club" (blue/black Oslo Club)! :)

Just had to slide that in there didn't you Shari. :) ;)

Welcome to the hearth . . . and as you may gather . . . this is a very, very rare occurence . . . first I've heard of this happening.

Where do you have the stove thermometer located on the stove?

pen

As thick and heavy as those Jotul top plates are it had to be an impurity in the casting that finally popped.

Better late than never ...

Dealer + Jotul took care of us ... so no worries there but for your entertainment ...

Attachments

• IMG00005-20110205-0913.jpg
    IMG00005-20110205-0913.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 353
Samoyed said:
Better late than never ...

Dealer + Jotul took care of us ... so no worries there but for your entertainment ...

Wow. That's an interesting crack.

Wow! By chance, was the insulation blanket removed from above the baffle? That's one heck of a crack.

sullystull said:
Wow! By chance, was the insulation blanket removed from above the baffle? That's one heck of a crack.

- new stove
- no modifications
- professional install
- burn by the book

Everyone involved (dealer, installer, Jotul, ..., us) was very surprised.

Nice to hear they took care of the problem. Did they install the top for you or did you have to do that yourself?

Sorry about your luck but glad everything turned out okay.

Samoyed, sent you a PM. I also had a cracked Oslo top at the end of last season. I included the thread

Glad Jotul took care of you!

Odd place and very odd way for a piece like that to crack, glad you had/got good support.

Status
Not open for further replies.