Cracked tiles on floor pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukeboxfun

Jul 28, 2008
Ephrata, PA
We were just cleaning the stove and noticed cracks in about 3 of the tiles on the floor heat pad. I guess we caused this by moving the slotted grate vigorously back & forth to get ashes down to the ash pan. Will this be a problem other than just cosmetics or does anyone recommend a repair method that does not include replacing the tiles?

I don't think there's a fix. Tiles usually break because of inadequate support underneath causing flex. I can't see that you'll have a problem though.

The stove is not that heavy. There is either a defect in the tile or the substrate. What is the hearth construction? Is it a premade from Hearth Classics? If so, it should still be under warranty.

I just called the store we bought it from in 2008 and they had me send them pictures. Hopefully it's a warranty issue.

Cracks are often caused by the lack of a decoupling layer between the tiles and the subfloor. In fact, its the most common reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.