Cracked Top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
I have come across a Jotul F 500 wood stove for $200. The owner shows a picture of the top of the stove with a crack in it. The owner claims the crack came form overheating. I'm assuming the crack came from the stove heating up to quick like the ash door was open to enable a fire to catch. Whatever, my question is can the top be replaced easily and is there any likelihood of there being any other damage to the stove? Here is a picture of the crack in the stove top.
01414_c3vanCwHlb7_600x450_zpsje6zna2d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

is there any likelihood of there being any other damage to the stove?
That looks like it was severely over-fired, and chances are good that there is other damage such as other cracked or warped parts. I would look for a stove that had been better cared for but buying a used stove is always a crap shoot to some extent, even if you know what to look for. If budget is a concern, you could get a basic steel stove new for pretty cheap, like an Englander 30, Drolet, etc. for under $1000 (before the chimney cost.)

Last edited:
The top is very easy to remove. But I agree, there is likely to be other damage on that stove.

Agree with the above. Top comes off with 3 bolts, simple.
What else have they done to it, I'm sure there's other damage.
What's a new top cost, can you even get just a top?
If cost is a big concern, put the money you'd put into that into a new less expensive model if you just want to get burning.

Did you price out the top piece? Like what has already been said, there are likely other damaged/warped parts. $200 is fairly cheap, but I can see the needed parts piling up pretty quick.

I don't have to worry about it any more, it's sold. I thought it might be a nice project hoping that there wasn't any more damage. I have a Jotul F 3CB burning for the first time this year. My house is only 900 sq. ft. It did a pretty fair job but when it got into the teens and lower it just kept me warm at around 72° with a burn time that barely made it to 5-7 hours. I am thinking of moving up to a larger or more efficient stove but I don't want something that will burn me out. Are there any smaller Cat stoves that anyone would recommend to replace my stove.

That top quietly was shouting abuse. Keep on looking. If seeking a cat stove look at the Woodstock Keystone or Fireview, or Blaze King Sircocco.

I always figure when something like this sells . . . it's probably meant to be . . . keep looking . . . another stove may pop up . . . may cost a little bit more, but hopefully it will be in better shape.

The seller could have at least thrown a quick coat of paint on the stove. Cover up that white center piece that screams overfire.

Paint is not going to cover up a big crack. It wouldn't surprise me if the base is cracked on this stove too.

The paint wouldn't cover the crack but it would cover the whiteness which to me indicates the abuse that this stove has seen just as much as the crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.