Cracked wall thimble - help please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve19

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've been on the forum, life's got in the way.

My chimney setup is about 15-20 year old. I recently swapped out the old stove with a BK princess. To make a long story short, I was bored tonight and started to inspect the chimney, and when I examined the wall thimble, I noticed that it has a hairline crack along the inner edge (where the 90 degree elbow fits on). I took a picture of it (circled and highlighted in red) where the crack is. I can feel airflow coming from the opening if my hand is close to the site. It doesn't appear like it will fall off because there are three 'L' shaped brackets holding it on, however, I don't know if this is 100% safe. Is there any glue/compound that I should apply over the crack to ensure it's safely sealed, or do I need a new wall thimble?

Thanks!
-Steve

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 342
A little stove cement for now, but replace it ASAP to be on the safe side.

I would say a new thimble would be the best route if you can. There are stove cements that can be used but a lot of them get brittle and fall off from heat. If you need someting to get you through for awhile Rutland makes a few sealers just keep an eye on it.

This looks like an odd 6 x 8" adapter. What part was used for this? I'm also wondering about the clearances around this setup. Can you post a wider shot so that we can see the full flue system?
In addition, it looks like the piping crimps are backwards. They should be facing the stove, not the thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.