Cracked Weld?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSB

Mar 30, 2015
New York
Regency Crack.jpg
I have posted about my Regency CI2600 hybrid Catalytic stove before - I continue to be overall very pleased with it's performance. I was cleaning out ashes last night and noticed a potential crack along a weld seam inside the stove. The weld is on the left side of the stove, towards the back. It is part of the combustion air intake system and I don't believe the crack extends outside the fire box. I think in this part of the stove the combustion airtravels through these square steel tubes in order to be pre-heated before it exits the secondary combustion air tubes in front of the cat. There is also a very fine crack in exactly the same spot on the combustion air tube on the right side of the stove. Concerning or just cosmetic?

SB

Last edited by a moderator:
jeez, I wouldn't be happy with that. Not too familiar with the stove, but if it was me, I would clean it and try to weld it myself. Then I would run it until it wasn't able to run, regardless of welding result.

BUT check your warranty, if you are covered I would try to get that fixed/replaced properly.

it is covered contact your dealer

Update -

So I had sent the pictures to the shop where we bought the stove, and they sent them on to the company (Regency). I hadn't heard anything back in a couple of weeks, but just got an email from the shop today. They have a brand-new insert for us in their warehouse and they'll get it installed in a couple of weeks! This is great, since from what I've read they've made a couple of refinements in this stove since we purchased ours. Plus we are quite happy with the level of service from the dealer - very easy to deal with.

SB

So I had sent the pictures to the shop where we bought the stove, and they sent them on to the company (Regency). I hadn't heard anything back in a couple of weeks, but just got an email from the shop today. They have a brand-new insert for us in their warehouse and they'll get it installed in a couple of weeks! This is great, since from what I've read they've made a couple of refinements in this stove since we purchased ours. Plus we are quite happy with the level of service from the dealer - very easy to deal with.
yeah we just replaced one as well regency are pretty good about it

Reactions: chance04
Regency replaced my 7 yr old 3100 insert this past summer due to a couple cracks in the steel. I've heard some complain about the company, but it appears that the selling dealer is the one that makes the difference. Possibly not, but Regency treated me fairly.

Regency replaced my 7 yr old 3100 insert this past summer due to a couple cracks in the steel. I've heard some complain about the company, but it appears that the selling dealer is the one that makes the difference. Possibly not, but Regency treated me fairly.
Yes a bad dealer can make any company look bad

Reactions: webby3650
Just to follow-up on this post... The dealer came out a couple of weeks ago and delivered/installed the new Regency CI2600 insert. There are some minor differences that I can see in the fire box compared to the old one and they are still using the restrictor plate on the opening for the "boost" air. This stove works even better than the old one! The main thing is that I find there is much more adjustability with the primary air control, specifically with the lower settings. On the previous stove I could never get the stove to shut down as much as I would like but with this one I can go all the way down to glowing coals and a red-hot cat, cruising around 700-900 degrees for many hours. I am getting easily 14+ burn times - nice constant heat output. It's really great!

SB

Thanks for the update, seems they made some small refinements that make a really nice change in the low and slow performance. Also great to hear of a stove manufacturer and dealer who are serving customer well.

Welcome to the self destructive world of hybrid stoves. <>

They are not all bad regency had some issues to start with but they have addressed them.

That seems premature. For many companies the tech is in its infancy and have needed tweaks. Regency reacted quickly and had a fix for the ci2600 within a few months. The new units seem fine. Haven't heard of Woodstock hybrids self-destructing.

FWIW, we've seen a fair share of cracked welds here with non-hybrid conventional stoves too.

Reactions: bholler
They are not all bad regency had some issues to start with but they have addressed them.
Everyone claims to have fixed their issues related to self destruction. But, problems keep reoccurring. I'm sure regency will keep up with issues as good as they can. Manufacturers keep claiming that all the IPI issues are fixed with the gas units. Each new model is having catastrophic failures, many started offering standing pilot again.

Everyone claims to have fixed their issues related to self destruction. But, problems keep reoccurring. I'm sure regency will keep up with as good as they can. Manufacturers keep claiming that all the IPI issues are fixed with the gas units. Each new model is having catastrophic failures, many started offering standing pilot again.
I know you had a bad experience with a hybrid but that does not mean they all are bad. Out of all of the hybrids out there how many of them have serious issues with premature failure? And by the way the problems regency has had have had nothing to do with the fact that it is a hybrid. They had air control issues which they would have had if it was a plain cat stove.

Reactions: Woody Stover
That seems premature. For many companies the tech is in its infancy and have needed tweaks. Regency reacted quickly and had a fix for the ci2600 within a few months. The new units seem fine. Haven't heard of Woodstock hybrids self-destructing.

FWIW, we've seen a fair share of cracked welds here with non-hybrid conventional stoves too.
I know that. Cracked manifolds are not uncommon. And you are correct, Woodstock got it correct right out of the gate.

I know you had a bad experience with a hybrid but that does not mean they all are bad. Out of all of the hybrids out there how many of them have serious issues with premature failure? And by the way the problems regency has had have had nothing to do with the fact that it is a hybrid. They had air control issues which they would have had if it was a plain cat stove.
The big regency has had quit a few issues, as well as the smaller one. But they do seem to be very good about facing issues quickly.

Travis industries is still yet to accept the fact that there was ever an issue. The cape cod has had a lot of problems, we quit selling it due to failures. I've been PM'd by several members that have had premature parts failures with the cod.

The big regency has had quit a few issues, as well as the smaller one. But they do seem to be very good about facing issues quickly.
Yes the 5100 had the same issues that the 2600 did which had nothing to do with being a hybrid.

They were totally new stoves when they got out in the field they found some issues. They fixed those issues. If there are other issues they will fix them to. So what is the problem

They were totally new stoves when they got out in the field they found some issues. They fixed those issues. If there are other issues they will fix them to. So what is the problem
If they own it there isn't much of a problem. Most people aren't too keen on the idea of doing a stove change out due to failure though, it doesn't Instill much confidence in the product. On the few occasions that we've had to do it, most customers opt for a different stove altogether after a failure. Customers assume that they have the major bugs worked out before it comes to market and have trouble when this is not the case.

Reactions: stovelark
Customers assume that they have the major bugs worked out before it comes to market and have trouble when this is not the case.
And most of the time they do have them all worked out but some times there are things that dont show up in testing but do in real world situations. In those cases it is all in how the company responds to the issues.

Between 12 to 40ft chimneys, Texas to Yukon temps, pine vs osage orange fires, newbie to know-it-all burners, basement to 2nd floor installs, etc., it's a miracle these stoves work as well as they do.

I can understand viewpoint webby has based on some experience in customer service. They don't want a "fixed" one they want a totally different one. Even if you try to explain to them the advantages of the updated "broken" one and how the different one won't necessarily be any better or different in its failure either.

Then again having a manufacturer that actually fixes their problems would make a big difference to me as a customer ;). I'm going to get some popcorn for this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.