Cracked window on my wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
I'm not sure what happened, maybe someone closed the door on a too big piece of wood, but the window on my stove cracked last winter. Everything is in place, it worked fine. If I decide to fix it, how big of a hassle it that?

I believe most doors are removeable (at least the ones I've seen).

Long time, WW...how ya been? The door is certainly removeable...exactly how depends on the stove (can't remember what you've got). The alternative to having someone else do it is to do it yourself, of course. I've read lots of great reviews of the service provided by an outfit called (I think) OneDayGlass.com or something like that. They'll custom cut a piece of the appropriate pyroceram material for your application and send it to you at reasonable cost. Then it's a matter of removing the old and installing the new in the door, with whatever sealing/gasket material is called for by the stove manufacturer. Rick

Yes, that is who I used and since you are in their neck of the woods, it should save you on shipping. (My shipping was almost as much as my glass so I ordered 2). Since you have the time, they recommend that you send in an outline of your glass. They only guarantee to within 1/16" and I had sent in my measurements full size and had to use a Dremel to grind it down to fit.

Some others have said they have had good luck locally finding pyroceram but I was able to buy 2 pieces from them with shipping for over $25 less than the cheapest place i found locally.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.